Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does democracy require economic prosperity?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Boddington's
    Democracy certainly needs an educated populace in order to be successful, which in turn does requires economic propserity.
    Wow, I actually agree with Boddington's.
    However, I recall Boddington arguing for education becoming a "deregulated", privatized "service" for which you pay.
    I wonder whether this correlates with his attitude towards democracy.
    "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
    "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

However, I recall Boddington arguing for education becoming a "deregulated", privatized "service" for which you pay.
      As this provides a better education for those that go. Of course you have temporary liquidity constraints, but these can be dealt with through either student loans or a graduate tax (effectively the same thing).

For those that don't have the educational merit, Western nations, particularly the UK, seem to be lacking in skilled labourers right now; good and valuable apprenticeships would apply.
      www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

democracy = bureaucracy?
        If everyone votes on every issue? Hell yeah.
        "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
        You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Originally posted by Wernazuma III

Wow, I actually agree with Boddington's.
          I wonder whether this correlates with his attitude towards democracy.
          And this doesn't work for the United States....how?
          If you look around and think everyone else is an *******, you're the *******.

Comment

Democracy died a long time ago in the United States.
            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

No, democracy, or what we know it to be nowadays, does not require economic prosperity. It survives in places with persistent unemployment rates of 30% and negative economic growth. It survives in places with largely illiterate populations.

In the US, it survived abject poverty for about 10 years in the Great Depression and several very bad depressions prior.
              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Costa Rica is a sucessful democracy, and certainly not rich. Like DanS said, economic sucess and democracy are not linked. You can be rich and a dictatorship. After all, in the 1980's SArabia had a PCI as high as that of the US and an incredible stardard of living. yet that did nothing for democracy.

I think more important than how wealthy a society is is how the wealth is distributed and achieved. If everyone is relatively poor, but the overall differnces is welath are not too high, and more importantly, the economy has variuous secotrs in which small private business can prosper, then democracy does well; A place were a small caabl controls a huge proportion fo the wealth (no matter how much filters down) and where the sources of income are very limited, and thus easy to control, then democracy suffers.
                If you don't like reality, change it! me
                "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Well I think it does, if you look to what happened to the Weimar republic after the crisis.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
                    Democracy died a long time ago in the United States.
                    It never existed, and wasn't set up initially. I have no idea why people keep calling it a Democracy.
                    "When you ride alone, you ride with Bin Ladin"-Bill Maher
                    "All capital is dripping with blood."-Karl Marx
                    "Of course, my response to your Marx quote is 'So?'"-Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                      No, democracy, or what we know it to be nowadays, does not require economic prosperity. It survives in places with persistent unemployment rates of 30% and negative economic growth. It survives in places with largely illiterate populations.

In the US, it survived abject poverty for about 10 years in the Great Depression and several very bad depressions prior.
                      Barely

Comment

Originally posted by Mattaba
                        Well I think it does, if you look to what happened to the Weimar republic after the crisis.

Comment

Working...
                        X