Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

P4 2.4G $178
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

MRT: I have been looking things over, and i think you should ditch the SCSI, and use the money to go with a better motherboard...

take a look at the Gigabyte GA-8INXP

It also has an integrated serial ATA interface, which will soon rival the best of scsi drives for a fraction of the cost....This board also supports Dual DDR ( 2 seperate memory systems, works incredibly well with hyperthreaded processors, and improves speed all around anyway...

Don't go with old technology, go with what is going to replace it

"Mal nommer les choses, c'est accroître le malheur du monde" - Camus (thanks Davout)

"I thought you must be dead ..." he said simply. "So did I for a while," said Ford, "and then I decided I was a lemon for a couple of weeks. A kept myself amused all that time jumping in and out of a gin and tonic."

Comment

if you don't like that one, another good option is the MSI MS-6565, Alias GNB Max. These are both based on the brand new Granite Canyon chipset that supports dual ddr (transfer rate of 4.2 G/s).

"Mal nommer les choses, c'est accroître le malheur du monde" - Camus (thanks Davout)

"I thought you must be dead ..." he said simply. "So did I for a while," said Ford, "and then I decided I was a lemon for a couple of weeks. A kept myself amused all that time jumping in and out of a gin and tonic."

Comment

kaak, like i said, this is specifically for music. im basically upgrading my old computer(ok im just using 2 IDE drives from my old computer weighing in at 120GB total)

scsi is vastly important when it comes to recording and playback of tracks from hard disk. track count specifically is dependant on seek and read and write times and really scsi is the only way to go. i can effectively double my track count(and i do use 64 stereo audio tracks sometimes) with scsi.

the mobo does what i want it to do which is hold my p4, and my pc2700 ram, no need to get bells and whistles for stuff i dont need.
          "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
          'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

okay, okay, but i think you are underestimating the serial ata drives

Comment

actually i looked into the dual ddr thing and me likes...i think ill go for it. actually its only like 120 dollars more for the mobo and pc2100 ram, and thats money well spent. and actually im thinking of taking 2 more sticks of 512 pc1000. 2 gigs of ram baby! so the total will be like 220 dollars more, but thats money well spend.

the only issue i have is ive heard of problems of the gigabyte board of posting occasionally. whats up with that?!?
              'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

MRT: Why just Ultra160, not Ultra320?
                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

give me the name of a controller card that can do it

wait, ive found some, and wow, thats a lot of money...its almost twice as much as a ultra 160...
                  Last edited by MRT144; February 19, 2003, 06:04.

Comment

What did you expect then if the speed is doubled too?
                    "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

quiet you actually the hard drive will cost more too...ah well, you only live once!

Comment

What you can do is to have an Ultra320 controller card with Ultra160 HDD now. Upgrade to Ultra320 HDD later.

Comment

well i can only hope and pray that prices go down in 4 months when i actually get around to building this thing. hopefully prices on everything that is, so then maybe i can splurge a bit. as the plan is now im gonna go with 160/160 for the recording hard drive.

Comment

hi ,

you can find loads of cheap compstuff at sell outs from customs , .... most countries do that several time a year , ...

other good places are sell outs due to bankruptcy , etc , ...

have a nice day
                            - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                            - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                            WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

i missed the great bankruptcy cache in the bay area in 2001...webvan HQ being just a 5 minute bike ride from my house.

Comment

Working...
                              X