Best popup blocker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best popup blocker?

ok i know it's been asked before but i did a search on apolyton but i couldn't find the thread, i've found the apolyton search functions to be somewhat lacking

anyways i have an old crappy computer (p2 333 64mb ram win 98, ati rage 8mb video card) however comcast was running a special and now i have a brand new cable modem, and unfortunantly the new faster popups locked my computer up twice last night, so i need a good popup blocker

things i'm looking for

effective
    simple to use
    no spyware

anyone have some suggestions?

With your computer? Opera
    Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
    And notifying the next of kin
    Once again...

Comment

seriously?

i'm kinda happy with ie6 though

Comment

Proxomitron...don't ask me where to download it from though...
        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Proximitron's home page is here
          Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
          I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

I use crazy browzer, which piggybacks on MS Internet Explorer, has better browser functionality plus blocks popups. It's here

Comment

i tried proxomitron and i'm still getting popups, it doesn't look like it blocked anything at all, am i doing something wrong?

ricketclik i'll check it out

Comment

Opera will definetly be faster than IE. To quickly disable popups in it, hit F12 and select the appropriate option from the menu that pops up.
                Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

CookieCop 2 from pcmag.com works for me. It acts like a proxy server.

You have three options for pop-ups

1: Allow Pop-ups
                  2: Disable all
                  3: Prompt before displaying

I use #3, since there are sites that I want a pop-up to show. All you get is a little box that shows the internet address and an okay or cancel button. Works for me.

Also it can block references and of course... cookies (you can use wildcards for the list, such as: *.apolyton.???).

It can block internet sites as well. Also, it only takes up about 3 to 5MB of RAM space and practicly no CPU time (in fact, I never really seen it use more then 1%).
                  I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Comment

www.panicware.com is simple to use, kills all pop-ups, and can be easily tuned on and off.
                    "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

I've used NoAds v2002.05.25 from http://www.SouthBayPC.com/ for a few months now (longest yet of the ones I've tried) and am very happy with it. Easy on/off switch; maintains 2 lists: one kills specific popup windows, the other kills popup windows based on specific phrases in the window's titlebar. Very handy for ending the appearance of a given group of popups for differing things originating from the same source. EDIT: As the user, you open the program (either looking at the Standard page or Wildcard page) and it gives you a list of currently open windows. From there, you highlight the offending window, and you never see that one again. If you see it again and the program is active, that's where the Wildcard list comes in: you tell the program to target specific phrases, like CHECK THIS OUT or ad.doubleclick.net and ANY window having those in it's title will automatically be closed. Sometimes you notice, sometimes the screen flickers, sometimes the window holds on for dear life as it tries - and ultimately fails - to load. In the end, NoAds always wins on my computer. I like having control on what is and is not targeted, and it's a simple matter to correct problems as only my input effects the program, it's not a coding problem.
                      Last edited by DRoseDARs; February 16, 2003, 00:17.
                      The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Originally posted by Shi Huangdi
                        www.panicware.com is simple to use, kills all pop-ups, and can be easily tuned on and off.
                        I just loaded that the other day based on somebody else's recommendation. It's a great program. I highly recommend it.
                        Keep on Civin'
                        RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Stop the pop http://www.bysoft.se/sureshot/stopthepop/index.html

it even records how many pop ups its killed. 2841 since January 1st

Comment

Opera's built-in popup blocker is too simplistic...I like panicware's, because it allows popups when you hold down Shift. Opera just blocks everything (at least AFAIK, I only got the damn browser working today).
                            "Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman

Comment

Mozilla has a built in pop-up blocker. I LOVE it. It won't even open up any pop-ups unless the link you click spawns it in a new window..or you tell it to open in new window.

Comment

Working...
                              X