Is this how we end affirmative action?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SpencerH

The point is that they (the government, university etc) cant decide.
    They can't, but they still will. Obviously not outloud though.

Comment

How about people like me that are white and grew up in the inner city does affermative action help us. 3/4 of the guys at the residence I work at are white and grew up in poor familys, how does affermative action help to equalize opportunity for them. I'm sure they feel so privliged in life with big time advantages.

Maybe we need affermative action based on the income of the family you grew up in. You could fill out a form and check off how rich your parents were then they decide if you get the job.

Comment

Originally posted by SirTweek
        How about people like me that are white and grew up in the inner city does affermative action help us. 3/4 of the guys at the residence I work at are white and grew up in poor familys, how does affermative action help to equalize opportunity for them. I'm sure they feel so privliged in life with big time advantages.
        I agree totally. Race is not a good indication of whether a person has had many opportunities in life. Yes, inner-city blacks are at a disadvantage. But so are inner-city whites, who often have similar problems as the urban blacks. Many people would assume that because I'm white, I have many more oppotunities than any black person. That's not necessarily true. For example, I live in a poor rural area, and my opportunities are less than someone who lives in, for example, Montgomery County, where the majority of the people are rich, and have many more opportunities.

Comment

good idea. In the future I will check the box.

I am part native american, it is fine time I start taking advantage of that.

Comment

Originally posted by Gibsie

They can't, but they still will. Obviously not outloud though.
            How will they do that? Ask for a picture? Set up skin colour standards. Ask you to prove your ancestry? The simple truth is that there is no valid test therefore any screening process would undercut affirmative action. By governmental standards you are black or hispanic if you say you are.
            We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
            If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
            Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

I'm pretty sure they wouldn't need to ask for a picture, as there will usually be some sort of visual contact at the stage of recruitment known as an "interview". The point I'm making is that the recruiters would ignore the check-boxes for race and make assumptions based solely on skin-colour; it would ruin AA as you said, but not in a good way.

Comment

Everyone should just f*ck each other until we all become the same.
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Re: Is this how we end affirmative action?

Originally posted by SpencerH
                  While discussing affirmative action the other day with some students, I realized that there are no tests for race or ethnicity. So if the WASP's out there want in on the benefits of affirmative action all they have to do is check the box on the applications. If enough people do this, affirmative action will cease to function.
                  If you lie on your application you can get kicked out of college.
                  "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

Re: Re: Is this how we end affirmative action?

Originally posted by Shi Huangdi

If you lie on your application you can get kicked out of college.
                    You're missing the point. Both race and ethnicity are "states of mind". There are no legal rules or physical tests that can be done to say whether you're one race or ethnicity. You may be lying, but theres virtually no way to prove it and it may be illegal for them to even question you about it.
                    We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                    If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                    Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Originally posted by SirTweek

Maybe we need affermative action based on the income of the family you grew up in. You could fill out a form and check off how rich your parents were then they decide if you get the job.
                      The reason AA is in the news right now is because of the University of Michigan lawsuit, to be argued at the Supreme Court.

Under the U-M affirmative action policy, everyone who is of low economic status, and everyone who goes to a minority-majority high school, regardless of their individual race, gets the exact same amount of assistance as any African, Hispanic, or First Nations kid.

Educate yourselves.
                      "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                      "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Right Guynemer. So the rich black kid from the suburbs who attends an elite private school gets an advantage over lower middle class white people.

"You're missing the point. Both race and ethnicity are "states of mind". There are no legal rules or physical tests that can be done to say whether you're one race or ethnicity. You may be lying, but theres virtually no way to prove it and it may be illegal for them to even question you about it."

Yes, but getting kicked out of school is a big deal. Are you willing to risk your future on the bet that a court won't rule if you are black or not?
                        "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

Originally posted by Shi Huangdi
                          Right Guynemer. So the rich black kid from the suburbs who attends an elite private school gets an advantage over lower middle class white people.
                          1) This lower middle class white kid had no problem in the slightest getting into U-M undergrad or U-M med school.

2) You really think that "the rich black kid from the suburbs who attends an elite private school" isn't forced to put up with racist bull**** on a weekly basis? (conservative estimate)
                          "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                          "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Maybe we could create a test where people could score "opression points". See I'm white (0 points), male (0 points), have a learning disability (1 point), come from a single parent family (1 point), ect... Hey we could even include points for sexual orientation and all kinds of things. Maybe you could lose points for having 'privliged' traits. This could be included on job applications, applications for schools and other things deemed necessary by the government. Whoever gets the most opression points wins!

Comment

Nice Sava, opposing affirmative action now equals racism. Seems the people most opposed to a color blind society are Nazi skinheads, the KKK, and liberals.

Comment

I have often been tempted to write 'celt' on these forms...

Comment

Working...
                                X