What did history teach us?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What did history teach us?

For a while a specific point in the ever ongoing debate/spamfest over the Iraq-issue has grown on me. A current thread made me start this one but as I just said, it has been on my mind for a while. I'd like to point out that it's not my intention to take a definite stand on the issue but to bring up a interesting detail. I'm not a big fan of analysing discourses and so forth but when it comes to details I do think it says something.

Some posters and people in general that are more or less pro-war refers to history to make a point. What I'm talking about is of cource (as most of you should have guessed by now) the idea and history of the appeasement-policy. Debaters point to what can be learned from the disaster in München in 1938.

However, my point is, that there might be a serious flaw with a selective way of learning from history. After all, history has and means a lot of things and can also be intepreted in a lot of ways. Is this appeasment-leason really a valid point? What has the history of imperialism and 'the white mans burden' to teach us?

My position is that one should be really careful to think that there's some easy clear-cut leasons from history. History never repeats itself but as a farce.

Discuss!

No!

Comment

Oh sod off!

Comment

No!

Comment

I should have guessed that this was a bit to far from random but predictable spam for the OT nowadays. I got orders from the 'big chief' (no my gf, not Bush!) so I'll have to leave this thread to its not so fortunate faith.

Comment

History is not an intellectual cudgel. Selectively picking out isolated incidents from the past to support your argument or point is dishonest at best.

Is this the line of thinking that you are aiming for?
            "In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed. But they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love. They had 500 years of democracy and peace. And what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."
            —Orson Welles as Harry Lime

Comment

Hitory teaches us:
              Kill your enemies
              Help your friends
              Do not screw around with thoses inbetween
              Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
              Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
              "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
              From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

Hitory teaches us:
                Kill your enemies
                Help your friends
                Do not screw around with thoses inbetween

Lefty speaks the truth.

I wish all of our EUnuch allies could grasp this simple lesson...
                KH FOR OWNER!
                ASHER FOR CEO!!
                GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

He who desires peace should prepare for war.

Some ancient roman guy.

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten [q]
                    I wish all of our EUnuch allies could grasp this simple lesson...
                    You don't have any allies anymore, eunuch or otherwise.

Comment

No permanent friends, just permanent interests;

some Victorian chap
                      "An Outside Context Problem was the sort of thing most civilisations encountered just once, and which they tended to encounter rather in the same way a sentence encountered a full stop" - Excession

Comment

The only thing we learn from history is that no one learns anything from history. Hegel, I think. One of them guys.
                        "When all else fails, a pigheaded refusal to look facts in the face will see us through." -- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay Melchett

Comment

What did history teach us?
                          Don't elect a Bush president.

We learned, but it didn't matter.
                          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

The one thing I have learned from history is that boring eras make for boring movies.
                            Monkey!!!

Comment

There are many important lessons in history.

One is that people have always been the same.

Other conclusions are impossible to make with certainty.

From that there are good lessons for debating (any subject):

One, make as little historical analogies and references in a debate as you can. They are always easily refuted.

Two, exploit your oponent if he makes a lot of those.

Three, us humans have a weakness in debates, we always respond to an analogy, and historical analogy especially. So you can use them to sidetrack (threadjack) a line of conversation that was getting inconvenient.

I'm feeling smart today, can't be helped

Comment

Working...
                              X