Japan threatens Korea with pre-emptive strike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Japan threatens Korea with pre-emptive strike

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Japan has given a warning it would launch a pre-emptive military action against North Korea if it had firm evidence Pyongyang was planning a missile attack.
    Defence Minister Shigeru Ishiba said it would be "a self-defence measure" if North Korea was going to "resort to arms against Japan".

Mr Ishiba said it would be too late if a North Korean missile was already on its way.

His remarks were the latest in the international row over Pyongyang's nuclear intentions, and followed a North Korean warning that it had the ability to strike American targets anywhere in the world, if provoked.

Click here to see North Korea's missile strike range
    Pyongyang was responding to a statement by the head of the US Central Intelligence Agency, George Tenet, warned that Pyongyang had a long-range missile capable of reaching the west coast of America.

On Wednesday, the United Nations nuclear watchdog resolved to refer North Korea to the UN Security Council for breaching nuclear non-proliferation agreements.

Warning

A senior official in Pyongyang, Ri Kwang-hyok, told the AFP news agency that North Korea was capable of attacking "all military personnel and all military commands of the United States in the world" as a self defence measure.

He also called on the Security Council to investigate the United States' own nuclear programme.

"We insist that the responsibility of the US must be discussed too," he said.

North Korea has long been thought to have a missile under development capable of hitting the western United States.

'Chronic offender'

The International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) decision on Wednesday to refer North Korea to the UN Security Council brings the nuclear crisis to a new stage.

It raises the possibility of economic and political sanctions against Pyongyang - a move North Korea says it would regard as a declaration of war.

Under its charter, the IAEA must report any violations of the nuclear non-proliferation treaty to the Security Council, and Pyongyang had been in "chronic non-compliance since 1993", IAEA chief Mohamed ElBaradei said.

He said North Korea was only a "month or two" from producing "a significant amount of plutonium" that could be used to make nuclear weapons.

Despite issuing the referral, Mr ElBaradei insisted that the IAEA would continue to press for a peaceful solution to the crisis.

"All members made it clear it is not the time to jump to sanctions," Mr ElBaradei said.

'Window of opportunity'

Pyongyang's neighbours have reacted with concern to the new developments.

South Korea urged Pyongyang to seize the "window of opportunity" left open to it.

It also said it hoped the Security Council would "handle the issue in a way that prevents a worsening of the situation and facilitates a diplomatic resolution".

China, while backing the decision by the IAEA's 35-country board, warned the Security Council against getting involved.

"The UN Security Council's involvement at this stage might not necessarily contribute to the settlement of the issue," China's ambassador to the UN, Zhang Yan, said on Thursday.

"The only correct and effective approach... is through constructive dialogue and consultations on the basis of equality," he said.
    http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

Gosh.
    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

This is the only time that I can think of post-WW II that Japan has threatened the use of military force.
      I'm sure China, as well as the rest of Asia, wouldn't react very well to Japanese forces in Korea.

Comment

Japanese army
        I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

I'm sure Korea wouldn't react very well when seeing Japanese transports near its shores. I hope the surrounding countries will find a diplomatic solution ASAP, and I sure hope Kim will try to accept it. He is really waging the "politics of worst".
          "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
          "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
          "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Datajack Franit
            Japanese army
            You're right, I was wondering as well if Japan's army would be big enough to conceivably challenge N. Korea. But even though it's small it's much more well-armed than it's Korean counterpart.

Comment

I suppose this makes Japan a bunch of "warmongers". God knows that pre-emptive action against dangerous tyrants is inexcusable...
              KH FOR OWNER!
              ASHER FOR CEO!!
              GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

I don't see what's any different between what the North Koreans are doing and what we're doing to Iraq.
                "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
                You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

That's because you don't recognize the legitimacy of the United Nations and international law. We are obeying international law for now, in regards to Iraq. North Korea is in violation.
                  John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

I don't see what's any different between what the North Koreans are doing and what we're doing to Iraq.

The sad thing is that you're probably serious about this. I weep for the future...
                    KH FOR OWNER!
                    ASHER FOR CEO!!
                    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

actually, I do recognize the legitimacy of the UN and international law.
                      You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten

The sad thing is that you're probably serious about this. I weep for the future...
                        You should. With war mongering world leaders like Bush, it's only a matter of time before the world breaks out into a nuclear rampage after some upstart nation like North Korea decides they don't want to be bullied anymore.

Comment

You think North Korea is the one being bullied?!?

KH FOR OWNER!
                          ASHER FOR CEO!!
                          GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

North Korea is hardly being bullied.

Wait sorry, that's not true.

The North Korean people are habitually bullied. The nation-state is not being bullied. The nation-state is the bully.

We gave them food and fuel, they built weapons of mass destruction. Now they want food and fuel, even though the terms were for them to recieve aid in exchange for not building nuclear weapons. They are the bullies. You are just a self hating American.

Comment

Orange, I can understand opposition to a war in Iraq. But North Korea is very cut and dry. This is good versus evil, and right now you're with the Bush administration on the accomodating evil side. I hope you're proud of your moral cowardice.

Comment

Working...
                              X