No announcement yet.

A little outnumbered I'd say:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You know, having 13 Nobel Prize-winning economists duke it out on policy is an incredible luxury that our country has.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

And usually, all 13 of them are dead wrong.
      A horse! A horse! Mingapulco for a horse! Someone must give chase to Brave Sir Robin and get those missing flags ...
      Project Lead of Might and Magic Tribute

Comment

Only Milton is dead wrong all the time. The rest are just mostly wrong.
        "When you ride alone, you ride with Bin Ladin"-Bill Maher
        "All capital is dripping with blood."-Karl Marx
        "Of course, my response to your Marx quote is 'So?'"-Imran Siddiqui

Comment

I used to respect Milton. Not anymore.
          "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
            Actually depending on the tax cuts, the government can influence how that extra money is utalized. Not exactly, but to a great degree.
            If you give tax cuts to the lower income classes instead of the rich, it is a lot more likely that they spend the money.
            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

That is an existing theory, but one that is contradicted by the facts. The rich and the middle class can and will often spend more than they earn, while the poor normally have no such option.
              A horse! A horse! Mingapulco for a horse! Someone must give chase to Brave Sir Robin and get those missing flags ...
              Project Lead of Might and Magic Tribute

Comment

What are you talking about? That's not the case here.
                (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Lawrence of Arabia
                  This reminded me of a quote I heard a while ago. It was by Matthew Parris about Tony Benn, but works for Friedman too IMO. It was something like:
                  He is an incredibly intelligent man, with many wonderful and radical ideas. However his standing is slightly diminished by the fact that he has been wrong on just about everything over tha last 50 years.
                  Smile
                  For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
                  But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

Originally posted by Lawrence of Arabia
                    After he figured out that he was the laughing stock of economics he just decided to support making rich people richer.

Comment

Originally posted by Ribannah
                      That is an existing theory, but one that is contradicted by the facts. The rich and the middle class can and will often spend more than they earn, while the poor normally have no such option.
                      What you are saying is also interesting, but I'm sure its not true. Since poor people have an even harder time saving money than borrowing it, it is safe to say that it is the higher income classes that save the money.

Comment

Wasn't Friedman the guy who worked with Pinochet?
                        Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
                        And notifying the next of kin
                        Once again...

Comment

Yes. The policies didn't work out too well for the working class there in Chile. Still the World Bank tries to do the same thing all over the world that Friedman and Pinochet did in Chile, and they fail disaterously everywhere.

Comment

Working...
                          X