Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

German friends: Safe for Americans in Berlin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• German friends: Safe for Americans in Berlin?

Hello meine deutschen Freunde!

I am seriously considering a long weekend trip to Berlin at the end of March, thanks to a really good deal on travel I have found. My question is, do you think as an American it will be too risky to come to Germany? What is the level of Anti-American sentiment, and has there been any word of American tourists being treated poorly?

Keep in mind my German speaking skills aren't very good, so I will be an obvious American. I thought about masquerading as Canadian, but think it would be hard to keep that up for long.

Well, what do you think?
    Tutto nel mondo è burla

I speak German (any surprise?). But I dunno if I'd want to go to Germany, perhaps somewhere else in Europe. Anyone want to give my political asylum?
    "Our words are backed with NUCLEAR WEAPONS!"​​

Comment

No spamming my thread! Scat!
      Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

You Americans really are afraid it's risky being an American in Europe??? There is something really really wrong with you lot...

Just be yourself and you'll be fine. Have a good trip...
        Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
        And notifying the next of kin
        Once again...

Comment

really

Comment

Sorry Huejj, don't blame us, our media tells us everyone hates us.
            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

god i love my avatar

Comment

Originally posted by Hueij
                You Americans really are afraid it's risky being an American in Europe??? There is something really really wrong with you lot...

Just be yourself and you'll be fine. Have a good trip...
                I didn't think about it at first, but family and friends started saying such things. So I figured I would ask an honest question and see what it was like.

I don't think I'd be that much of a target in Europe, especially since if anyone bothered to confront me about American policies, I'd probably agree with them.
                Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
                  Sorry Huejj, don't blame us, our media tells us everyone hates us.
                  Yeah, we heard about the US media
                  Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
                  And notifying the next of kin
                  Once again...

Comment

If it is anything at all like Denmark (Which I think it is) then stop worrying about it.
                    http://www.hardware-wiki.com - A wiki about computers, with focus on Linux support.

Comment

Problems in europe just because your american?

Don't be silly, this isn't the USA y'know

serioiusly though, I don't think people will really care, 'oh your american. What makes you think i give a shisen'

Happy holidays
                      eimi men anthropos pollon logon, mikras de sophias

Comment

aaah ... how sweet

you'll be fine Boris, IIRC Hitler died a few years ago - Germany's been kinda OK since then.

No seriously, you'll have a great time. Berlin is a cool town.

Just leave the "I think bombing Iraq is a great idea" t-shirt behind
                        If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

actually i hear that Berlin is a **** town with the most inhospitable people you could find in Germany.

Oh and it's a turkish town really.

Comment

which BTW wasnt my impression when i visited before the wall came down (but i was just a kiddy then)

Comment

Originally posted by paiktis22
                              actually i hear that Berlin is a **** town with the most inhospitable people you could find in Germany.
                              Not in my, albeit limited, experience. It's a fascinating place to be if you are at all interested in 20th century history.
                              True .. I wouldn't want to live there since too much of it is still either a construction site or a series of soul-destoying tower blocks... but that's not what Boris asked.
                              If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

Working...
                              X