Intelligence War!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intelligence War!!

Considering all this fuss that Britain and the US are making over 'suspected' Terror attacks and so on, wouldn't it make sense for Al Qaeda and all them lot to just stream out loads of conversations and transcripts etc hinting towards major attacks, let all these countries get all up-in-arms, and then do nothing?

This would cause quite a decent amount of disruption and cost, and have the extra effect of the 'cry wolf' syndrome - no one will know when its a serious threat or not.
    eimi men anthropos pollon logon, mikras de sophias

Five minutes to thread closure. Engaging silent countdown.
    Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
    Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

That's not been their current modus operandi ?
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Buck Birdseed
        Five minutes to thread closure. Engaging silent countdown.

What for?

That's not been their current modus operandi ?
        It seems it has, but I am just opeing a discussion as it seemed interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by The Andy-Man
          What for?
          Do you have Ming´s posts on your ignore list?
          Blah

Comment

This is not about the War in Iraq, however.
            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by BeBro

Do you have Ming´s posts on your ignore list?
              no but it seems a good idea

This is not about the War in Iraq, however.
              exactly.

Comment

no but it seems a good idea

Blah

Comment

Re: Intelligence War!!

Considering all this fuss that Britain and the US are making over 'suspected' Terror attacks and so on, wouldn't it make sense for Al Qaeda and all them lot to just stream out loads of conversations and transcripts etc hinting towards major attacks, let all these countries get all up-in-arms, and then do nothing?

This would cause quite a decent amount of disruption and cost, and have the extra effect of the 'cry wolf' syndrome - no one will know when its a serious threat or not.
                  They could do as you say. The only problem is that they put themselves in jeopardy to do so. Obviously, not all captured conversations are given the same weight. Messages from peons have less value than those from Bin Ladens lieutenants. In any case, we glean details they didnt mean to give away. Playing such games by senior Al Queda dogs would increase our chances of locating them and now that the American agencies are no longer hog-tied we can dispose of them.
                  We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                  If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                  Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Re: Re: Intelligence War!!

Originally posted by SpencerH

They could do as you say. The only problem is that they put themselves in jeopardy to do so. Obviously, not all captured conversations are given the same weight. Messages from peons have less value than those from Bin Ladens lieutenants. In any case, we glean details they didnt mean to give away. Playing such games by senior Al Queda dogs would increase our chances of locating them and now that the American agencies are no longer hog-tied we can dispose of them.

True, but if the infomation is meant to be misleading, then i am sure there are ways around some of the problems you have stated. I mean, if some peon pretends to be bin ladin, and has a phone conversation with someone saying something, then how will anyone know hes pretending, and how can they NOT do something anyway? BEcause if they ignore it as 'a hoax' and something happens, then you have the outburst against the CIA like what happened september 2001.

OTOH, if every day you lead out a load of troops hyping up an 'attack', and nothing happens, people will loose confidence in any war on terror - either way the terrorists win out.

Comment

This thread is to remain open or else!

There, I just closed it.
                      Long time member @ Apolyton
                      Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Intelligence War!!

True, but if the infomation is meant to be misleading, then i am sure there are ways around some of the problems you have stated. I mean, if some peon pretends to be bin ladin, and has a phone conversation with someone saying something, then how will anyone know hes pretending, and how can they NOT do something anyway?

BEcause if they ignore it as 'a hoax' and something happens, then you have the outburst against the CIA like what happened september 2001.

OTOH, if every day you lead out a load of troops hyping up an 'attack', and nothing happens, people will loose confidence in any war on terror - either way the terrorists win out.
                        Misinformation has always been a factor in the intelligence business. One phone conversation would mean very little unless they absolutely knew it was Bin Laden (for example). Theres never a smoking gun. Its a puzzle where you get snippets here and there but before anything is acted upon someone has to decide whether or not the threat is credible. That takes time and enough snippets. So to put it in perspective, threats are received all the time but it was only recently (for example) that enough data was judged credible enough to warrant putting out a 'red alert'.

The fact that nothing appeared to happen during the last 'red alert' doesnt mean there wasnt a real threat. It may mean that the threat was foiled. Unfortunately we may never know the truth of the matter and as you point out there is a psychological effect anyway. The reason I find a misinformation campaign unlikely is that we are actively hunting these dogs and their only hope is to stay hidden. If they were actively feeding us misinformation as part of a psychological action aginst us they would be committing suicide.
                        We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer
                          This thread is to remain open or else!

There, I just closed it.
                          Why should it be closed? It's not about Iraq.

Comment

This thread may actually survive. BTW I suspect that if OBL and his cronies were constiently prophasizing spectacular attacks which didn't happen then they would begin to lose credibility.
                            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Working...
                            X