No announcement yet.

I found out I have a half-brother today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Horse--you may be right, but I have no reason not to believe my birth mother's take. She's one of the most "real" people you'd ever care to meet and there is no reason not to believe her. She's given me other insights into his behavior after the "incident" that are enough to convince me of her veracity and his misdeed. Besides, if the guy is married with kids, do I have the right to disrupt his life like that, regardless of his previous role in the conception? It is often hard enough for me to maintain decent contact with my "new" family, let alone adding a whole different branch.
    I've struggled with this one a lot.
    Life and death is a grave matter;
    all things pass quickly away.
    Each of you must be completely alert;
    never neglectful, never indulgent.

Comment

Originally posted by NeOmega
      I have a half brother somewhere in the world.... Damon Rutlidge.... don't know him so I don't really care to ever meet him...... I wonder if he knows he has three half siblings.....
      I'm in the exact same situation. I have a half brother and wonder if he knows me and my brother and sister exist. He's about eighteen now and I dread the idea he might show up on my doorstep someday.

In a similar situation, I had a new cousin suddenly materialize last year. She's the daughter of my uncle that nobody knew even existed. I felt pretty bad about it because she wanted her father at her college graduation, only to find out he had died of cancer about 6 years ago.
      "We are living in the future, I'll tell you how I know, I read it in the paper, Fifteen years ago" - John Prine

Comment

Just to break up the general gloom, I'd like to report that I have two half-brothers and a half-sister, and it's a rare occurence during the time I spend in Sweden that I do not meet at least one of them every day, and all of them weekly. My oldest brother just moved into a house in the same block as my parents'...
        Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
        Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

I'm adopted; according to the court papers attached to the adoption, my mother was a minor when I was born. My father is listed as "deceased," but this was probably just early-1960s-speak for "out of the picture." (Before I knew this for sure, whenever my friends would call me a bastard, I'd say, "yeah, probably." It's not easy being right all the time. )

Given my bio-mom's young age when I was born, I have to assume that I have half-siblings out there somewhere. I'd never think of looking for them now, because my Mom is still alive and I think it would break her heart if I went looking for bio-mom. But I never really thought about how it would affect the bio-family I found. How is it affecting your family, Diss?

Good luck with it all.
          "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by SuperSneak
            Horse--you may be right, but I have no reason not to believe my birth mother's take. She's one of the most "real" people you'd ever care to meet and there is no reason not to believe her. She's given me other insights into his behavior after the "incident" that are enough to convince me of her veracity and his misdeed. Besides, if the guy is married with kids, do I have the right to disrupt his life like that, regardless of his previous role in the conception? It is often hard enough for me to maintain decent contact with my "new" family, let alone adding a whole different branch.
            I've struggled with this one a lot.
            Hmm, I think redemption and forgiveness are very important. We all make mistakes, lots of biggies. It might mean a lot to him if you reached out. Maybe he's suffering about it. If he has children of his own he probably sees all that in quite a different light now. He might be quite a different man and need some closure and maybe you do too. His children are your brothers and sisters. They are Aunts and Uncles to your kids. That's heavy. Do they have a right to know you? Does Prosper? Maybe there's a happy ending there.

Its a common reaction for adopted children to see the worst in a birth parent. It can be a grief/rejection thing. The psychic wound is very deep. There's a lot of feelings to work through.

What strikes me about your situation is you are very very fortunate to know who both your birth parents are. That's very rare. If he died and you hadn't made contact, how would you feel?
            Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

This sort of thing has happened to a couple of friends of mine. They got in contact and have never regretted it.

One of my mother's old workmates didn't find out that she was adopted until after her (adoptive) mother died; she has since contacted her birth mother and has a strong relationship with her now.

In most cases things go well - the other person is after all a close relative of yours and blood is thicker than water.

Good luck what ever you decide. You are a brave man either way.
              Only feebs vote.

Comment

Diss,

Think of it this way, now you aren't alone and you gained a brother now....don't think of him as a "stranger". You're a very lucky man to have a brother. I've always wanted one but never did.
                Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
                Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
                *****Citizen of the Hive****
                "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

Sneak isn't the only one on the board who is adopted. That's right.....this ole' dragon was adopted when she was 4 days old. My parents were always very open and honest with me since my childhood. When I was old enough to read they bought me a book called The Choosen Baby. It explained all about adoption and how the parents who got this baby really wanted it. They let me know that I was a choosen baby etc... I've always known that I was but it does leave a small (for me large for others) void in your life always looking in the mirror and wondering if you look like someone out there. I was one of the lucky ones. I got great parents who loved me and spoiled me rotten

Amazingly enough my adopted mother and I looked very much alike until she passed away. I am currently trying to search for my biological parents.
                  Welcome to earth, my name is Tia and I'll be your tour guide for this trip.
                  Succulent and Bejeweled Mother Goddess, who is always moisturised yet never greasy, always patient yet never suffers fools~Starchild
                  Dragons? Yup- big flying lizards with an attitude. ~ Laz
                  You are forgiven because you are FABULOUS ~ Imran

Comment

I'm sorry to hear that, is he an amputee or was he born that way?

Comment

Congratulations on finding out that you have a half-brother Dissident. I myself have one step-brother, two-half brothers and two-half sisters.
                      "One day if I do go to heaven, I'm going to do what every San Franciscan does who goes to heaven - I'll look around and say, 'It ain't bad, but it ain't San Francisco.'" - Herb Caen, 1996
                      "If God, as they say, is homophobic, I wouldn't worship that God." - Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

well I was never alone. I have 2 other brothers . Guess I have 3 now.

I'm sure he lives on the east coast. As he was adopted in my mom's home state.

It all depends on if he wants to see my mother. I haven't contacted him, my mom has. So we'll see.

Comment

my parents convinced me that they are supporting 20 other kids based on how much they spend on me.
                          "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                          'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Working...
                          X