Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you spell G-U-N in Canada?

Answer? W-H-I-N-Y P-A-R-E-N-T-S

A school board in Canada has banned the word "gun" from all spelling tests in its district after the parents of a first-grader complained about the word appearing on a spelling list distributed by her teacher, reports the Ottawa Citizen.

According to the report, 7-year-old Chloe Sousa, a student in the Lombardy, Ontario, Public School, came home with a list of spelling words last week that included "gun." Her parents, Amanda and Mark Sousa, who consider themselves pacifists, were shocked that the offending word was on the list.

"I realize people hunt in this area, but I still don't think that warrants the teaching of this word to my daughter or any other child," Mrs. Sousa told the Citizen.

"The word gun is synonymous with death. I'm racking my brain trying to figure out why a 7-year-old would need to learn this word."

According to the report, Chloe's mother was hesitant to bring her views forward for fear of backlash from the school toward her daughter, and because some may view her problem with the word as another political correctness issue gone too far.

"For a split second I considered whether or not I should raise this issue, but I knew I had to stand up for what I believe in. This was not right," she said.

Mrs. Sousa wrote to her daughter's teacher about the issue, but didn't hear back. Instead, Chloe brought home another list later in the week that included the word "gun" along with an illustration of a pistol next to it.

"I was horrified that not only were we ignored, but now my daughter is carrying around a picture of a gun," Mr. Sousa told the paper.

Mrs. Sousa then decided it was time to call the school to speak to the principal.

After her call yesterday, according to the report, she received an apology from both the teacher and Terry Simzer, a PR person representing the school board.

Simzer explained that the word gun had been in the curriculum for a number of years, but as of yesterday, gun has been removed from the spelling test because of the Sousas' complaint.

"I can't say how many years it's been used, but a number of years, yes," said Simzer. He defended the word as being a good phonetic word and short vowel word that is easy for young readers to learn.

"We do appreciate the sensitivity around the word, especially in these times, and have taken the word from the list because of this parent's complaint," he told the Citizen.

"We are quite happy that the whole matter has been resolved and the word will no longer be included in our curriculum."

Said Mrs. Sousa, "Even after all of the obstacles I'm happy with the conclusion.

"I accomplished what I set out to do and that was to have this word removed from my daughter's spelling list."

"The word gun is synonymous with death." No, the word gun is synonymous with firearm. Silly canadians don't even know what a synonym is.

O My God
    "When you ride alone, you ride with Bin Ladin"-Bill Maher
    "All capital is dripping with blood."-Karl Marx
    "Of course, my response to your Marx quote is 'So?'"-Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Kathy, now please spell handjob
      I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

my daughter is carrying around a picture of a gun
        pictures of guns dont kill people. guns do!

I'm racking my brain trying to figure out why a 7-year-old would need to learn this word
        7-year-old..... good god....
        Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
        Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
        giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Killing it is the new killing it
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

What a skanky wench.
            I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

my daughter is carrying around a picture of a gun

A-ha! That explains the terror alert level being raised to code Orange last week!

Comment

"When you ride alone, you ride with Bin Ladin"-Bill Maher
                "All capital is dripping with blood."-Karl Marx
                "Of course, my response to your Marx quote is 'So?'"-Imran Siddiqui

Comment

What I want to know is why all of the crackpot lawsuits are cropping up in places OTHER THAN the United States. Damn foreigners. First you steal our standing as "best producers of..." in various industries, then you start stealing the jobs of hard-working blue-collar red-blooded Americans, and now you have the audacity to start filing stupidier, whinier lawsuits than us.

We will make you pay for your impudence with OUR g-u-n-s!
                  OUR WORDS ARE BACKED WITH NUCLEAR WEAPONS!!!

The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Our next target is flag-burning.

We're going to start handing out free Canadian flags and lighters at Arab/African/Asian/South American protests, along with a little explanation of how we're an IMF/World Bank/G8/NATO member too.

Just try to stop us!
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by DRoseDARs
                      , and now you have the audacity to start filing stupidier, whinier lawsuits than us.

They aren't to the lawsuit state yet, they are just at the complaining stage.

ACK!
                      Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

We're going to start handing out free Canadian flags and lighters at Arab/African/Asian/South American protests, along with a little explanation of how we're an IMF/World Bank/G8/NATO member too.

Wouldn't this destroy your Stealth Nation defense?
                        KH FOR OWNER!
                        ASHER FOR CEO!!
                        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

That's the price we'll pay to replace the US as the Great Satan.
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Besides which, we could just provide them with maps that'll have them hitting "Ottawa, DC".

Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I'm racking my brain trying to figure out why a 7-year-old would need to learn this word
                              I agree... A 7 year old should already be able to spell such simple words!

Originally posted by Datajack Franit
                              Kathy, now please spell handjob
                              That reminds me of Southpark, where Mr. Garrison teaches kindergarten sex Ed. ROFL

"Oh yes, Dirty sanchez, she loves that"
                              :-p

Comment

Working...
                              X