No announcement yet.

Republican party spams newspaper editors with praise of Bush

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I see this all the time in our local papers. Same letter sent to different papers with different signatures. The biggest sponsor of this sort of thing is The Sierra Club in our local papers, with Greenpeace, the Democratic Party and our local "Peace and Justice" nutjobs contributing their share as well. I actually haven't seen the Republicans do this as often, but they are few and far between in Boulder, and their adherents are apparently motivated enough to use their own phrasing.
    He's got the Midas touch.
    But he touched it too much!
    Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

I hate to break it to everyone, but since I started interning in Congress, I've found several things:

1) Grassroots campaigns often appear larger then they are.
      2) Often multiple letters are sent in to organizations by spouses separately, using maiden names, kids names and nicknames.
      3) People think it is a good idea to fax, e-mail and mass mail the same or similar boilerplate letters. I've often gone through stacks where the same person sent the same letter in 5 to 7 times, wasting several sheets of paper.
      4) Often people who write in don't exist. Why do I know that? Because when I input your address, 15 other "constituents" have the same address, often in a Kinkos, Mailboxes Etc or an office building. You're not fooling anyone because I KNOW YOU PROBABLY DON'T EXIST
      5) Most people can't write a coherent letter. They instead sign their name to a boilerplate letter or give their name to an organization who just slaps their name on it.

This is no surprise. I deal with it on the Hill three days a week.
      If you look around and think everyone else is an *******, you're the *******.

Comment

Old news Monky-spiderpoo. Astroturfing by the Republican Party was in the UK media a few weeks back. I'm just waiting for my chance to use the word in everyday conversation.

Not that I'm shocked or even particularly surprised. It's just another reason to retreat into cynicism and sarcasm.
        Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
        -Richard Dawkins

Comment

Nixon's Whitehouse did something similar...wrote letters to itself praising Nixon's performance. The really scary thing was: the Nixon Whitehouse actually believed these letters. Talk about your doublethink.

Comment

Both sides are equally bad with this. And believe me, I never balk at a chance to bash Republicans, but the Dems do this same crap.
            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
            X