Best 20th century conductor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best 20th century conductor?

See topic, I apologize to Boris and any other music lovers for any omissions that I may have (and inevitably did) make.

In any event, my vote goes for an old warhorse, Karajan.
    I find that, beyond the standard repetoire stuff, he really shines.
    Karajan
    14.29%
    Barbirolli
    0.00%
    Furtwangler
    14.29%
    Beecham
    0.00%
    Klemperer
    0.00%
    Toscanini
    14.29%
    Bruno Walter
    0.00%
    Leonard Bernstein
    28.57%
    Frtiz Reiner
    0.00%
    Carlos Kleiber
    14.29%
    Karl Bohm
    0.00%
    Count Johan Von Bananastein
    14.29%
    http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

Copper
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

copper wire
      We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
      If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
      Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Typing wire slowed me down
        We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
        If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
        Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Who da man?
          12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Killing it is the new killing it
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Omitted from list:

Georg Solti HOW COULD YOU?!

Claudio Abbado
            George Szell
            Bernard Haitink
            Seiji Ozawa
            Riccardo Muti
            Felix Weingartner
            Eugene Ormandy
            Leopold Stokowski
            Andre Previn
            Daniel Barenboim
            Sir Neville Mariner
            Simon Rattle
            Antal Dorati
            Giuseppi Sinopoli
            Carlo Maria Giulini
            Richard Bonynge

Thank you, at least, for not including hacks like Levine, Mehta, etc.
            Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

It's a difficult question, because, IMO, no single conductor has been able to master every form of music. I wouldn't choose the same one for Wagner as I would Mozart or Bach.

I dislike Von Karajan in general, though he has good moments. He tends to be ponderously slow at the most inappropriate moments, he is atrocious at conducting Mozart or any Italian opera, and his lack of any coherent interpretation in many of his recordings is painfully obvious. He often conducts as if he is going measure to measure, rather than forming a complete musical statement.

For German symphonic music, I give the interpretation award to Furtwangler. No conductor on record has ever given more electrifying and revelatory performances of Beethoven, Brahms, Bruckner, etc. Would that the recordings were in stereo sound! The passion this man had for his art more than makes up for is sometimes-spotty precision. Ok, sometimes his precision is awful. But he was capable of inducing these astounding pianissimos and crescendos from the BPO that I have never heard the like of in any other recordings.

For precision, you'd have to go with either Toscanini or Reiner. Toscanini is, however, not very Germanic in his conducting (take that as bad or good). He tends to have overly-clipped phrasing, which makes his Beethoven sound rather Vivaldi-esque. Still, you can't complain about the clarity of sound he gets or the precision. In fact, maybe too rigid precision at times. Reiner is a real treat, and is certainly Germanic (they didn't call him the Podium Nazi for nothing!). Unfortunately his recordings with the Chicago Symphony on RCA are far too dry in sound. One would like at least a little bit of reverb. Szell was the master of precision, but lacks almost any emotional pulse. However, his Brahms Symphony set on Sony Classical is justly famed. Abbado's are the best recordings of the digital age, though they sometimes suffer from digititis.

Kleiber is wholly remarkable at times, oddly inaccurate and inadequate at others. He actually conducts the Beethoven 7th's Allegretto wrong, incorrectly placing the grace notes.

In terms of opera, it again depends on the genre. For Wagner, Solti's Ring is unbeatable as a complete set, but Furtwangler is clearly is superior. Bohm gets honorable mention there. For Italian opera, avoid the German conductors. Furtwangler's Mozart is almost as bad as Von Karajan's. Giulini's recordings, while analog, are generally superior, though Solti leads Verdi quite well. Bonynge is also superb here, as are Muti and especially Abbado

Choral music is a more varied field, with superb older conductors like Klemperer and Bernstein being evenly matched with modern conductors like Solti, Previn and Abbado.

Early music and period music are the domain of folks like Neville Mariner and John Elliot Gardner. Gardner is particularly fine here. Just avoid his Beethoven symphonies.

As for an answer to the question, I voted for Furtwangler. His name just makes me giggle.
              Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov
                Omitted from list:

Georg Solti HOW COULD YOU?!

Claudio Abbado
                George Szell
                Bernard Haitink
                Seiji Ozawa
                Riccardo Muti
                Felix Weingartner
                Eugene Ormandy
                Leopold Stokowski
                Andre Previn
                Daniel Barenboim
                Sir Neville Mariner
                Simon Rattle
                Antal Dorati
                Giuseppi Sinopoli
                Carlo Maria Giulini
                Richard Bonynge

Thank you, at least, for not including hacks like Levine, Mehta, etc.
                I agree with Solti.

But, Mahler was considered very good in his day.
                http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

Ah, but we have no recordings of Mahler by which to judge that, and his lasting fame is as a composer.
                  Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

True. But still Mahler was judged to be a very good conductor.

I remember reading once about Mahler conducting the first performance of his Eighth Symphony. I understand the audience was simply dumbfounded on just how good it was.
                    http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

No Stokowski - a crime.
                      Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon
                        No Stokowski - a crime.
                        Some might take issue with his wholesale rewriting of pieces of music to suit his fancy.
                        Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Let's have pictures!

First up, Wilhelm Furtwangler.
                          Attached Files
                          Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Arturo Toscanini
                            Attached Files
                            Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Herbert von Karajan, sans any swastikas.
                              Attached Files
                              Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Working...
                              X