Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• war in Iraq to cost 30 billion a year

from http://www.guardian.co.uk -

The financial cost of a war in Iraq is justified in order to deal with Saddam Hussein, Gordon Brown says. The Chancellor says his prudent handling of the economy means if military conflict goes ahead he will find the money to pay for it. A defence think-tank estimated last week that war in Iraq would cost the British taxpayer £3.5 billion - a figure which could rise.

The long-term costs of stabilising and rebuilding the nation after the conflict, in which Britain is likely to play a key role, could be more than £30 billion a year, says the International Institute for Strategic Studies. The Chancellor says the international community will be happy to foot the bill for rebuilding Iraq as it has done in Afghanistan and Kosovo.

"We have always in difficult circumstances like these, whether it's been Kosovo or Afghanistan or whether domestically it's been foot-and-mouth and other emergencies that we did not expect, we've always had to find the money and make it available," Mr Brown told BBC1's Breakfast With Frost.
    "One of the benefits of our new system in fiscal policy is that we are far more able to deal with these difficulties and emergencies as they arise. So we will find the money and it is necessary that we do."
    So, if we spend this much money so the USA can get more oil does this mean that Bush will let Blair kiss his naked ass, rather than just through his trousers?
    Up the Irons!
    Rogue CivIII FAQ!
    Odysseus and the March of Time
    I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up

Where did the guardin get it's figures from?
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

oh joy, all that money which Brown has managed to save through his handling of the economy is going to be wasted on a war?

Wahey, here comes recession...

Comment

I thought you mean the war, not the period after it. 30B is a small number compare to what the war will cost.
        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

If the war lasts a year 30B will be a drop in the bucket.
          "When you ride alone, you ride with Bin Ladin"-Bill Maher
          "All capital is dripping with blood."-Karl Marx
          "Of course, my response to your Marx quote is 'So?'"-Imran Siddiqui

Comment

No - the war itself will probably 'only' cost 3.5 billion, but occupying Iraq afterwards (which could be upwards of 3 years) will cost 30 billion a year.
            Up the Irons!
            Rogue CivIII FAQ!
            Odysseus and the March of Time
            I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up

Comment

Well this is a 'good value for money' type of war.
              Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
              GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Yeah, US gets a war and the rest of the world gets Bushigula's head on the platter. Come on, CIA, don't fail us now.
                Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

I think 3.5b is a very conservative figure based on the assumption that after a few bombs have fallen that Iraq will surrender.

/me wonders if Ming has noticed this Iraq War thread .
                  Grrr | Pieter Lootsma | Hamilton, NZ | grrr@orcon.net.nz
                  Waikato University, Hamilton.

Comment

Grrr, this one was made before Ming made his rule.
                    Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Ahem..3.5b to British Taxpayers, only. The cost of war for the US , australia, and other nations who will be involved are not included whatsoever.

The 30 billion dollar a year as part of the aftermath is very high- Afghanistan costs but a fraciton of that after the bombs ended.
                      If you don't like reality, change it! me
                      "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                      "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                      "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

So, if we spend this much money so the USA can get more oil

And so the myth continues.
                        www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Working...
                        X