Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hypothetical scenario: What should we do with an alien artifact?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hypothetical scenario: What should we do with an alien artifact?

Suppose we find an alien artifact. What should we do with it? Should we take it apart and study it, or should we use it as is?

If we take it apart and study it, the device may be too advanced for us to figure out anything, and it is all too likely to damage it in the process so we can't put it back together.

If we use it as is, it won't give us any new knowledge, and it is just as likely to break down after awhile, so we have nothing for show.

What do you think?
    Take it apart
    63.64%
    Use it when we have it
    18.18%
    Use it to make more bananas
    18.18%
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Do we know what the thing does? There's sure be egg on our face if we turned it on and it did something silly like kill everybody and then travel back in time and retroactively kill everybody's ancestors.
    <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Did you find something in a crater in your backyard, UR?
      CSPA

Comment

Lets say we found out. For example, make banana trees grow to ten times the normal size. So that pretty much precludes bombs or xenocidal devices.
        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

Good sci-fi question, but in reality, I doubt the situation would ever arise. I say, try to duplicate it, don't use it, but try to understand the engineering behind this device.
          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangerolf
            Did you find something in a crater in your backyard, UR?
            It would be interesting if that's the case.

Comment

Do we know what the thing does?
              I don't think so. Because to know what it does we have to either:
              1)Try to run it: we already make a choice to run it.
              2)Take it a part to analyze it: we make a choice and take it apart.

You know, the aliens won't leave a note saying what it does. And if they do, we won't be able to translate it, anyway.
              urgh.NSFW

Comment

I'd trust UR with a powerful alien artifact more than I trust myself with one
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Well, as an evil American, I say we should obviously use it to impose our will on the rest of the world....

Seriously, even if we run the risk of breaking it, we should take it apart and study it. If WE can't figure it out, perhaps our children can....

-=Vel=-
                  The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

research it.

put as many scientists available on it so we can build an alien spacecraft or heavy plasma rifle.

sort of like X-com

Comment

Normally, I find the banana option silly but comical. But now, we may actually need that artifact

Comment

Link it to our network node, of course.
                        Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                        Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Originally posted by Tassadar5000
                          Link it to our network node, of course.
                          heh the one that Deidre built?

Comment

no, Silly.

Diedre is just a treehugging eurocom.

We at the UNIVERSITY, get our network nodes for free.
                            urgh.NSFW

Comment

Actually, I changed my mind! We need to hook it up to the network node and get a free tech, of course!

-=Vel=-

EDIT: Dang....Tass beat me to it.....*sighs*
                              The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

Working...
                              X