Linux help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux help

I just did an apt-get dist-upgrade in hopes of it downloading GNOME 2.2 for me. When I came back after it finished, I found out it removed KDE 3.1 for some unknown reason.

So when I rebooted I went into XFCE or some other god-awful window environment since now I don't have KDE or Gnome.

So I made sure my sources.list pointed to all of the correct kde.org (for 3.1) and all of the debian.org servers, did an apt-get update, then tried apt-get dist-upgrade again. It listed a whole bunch of packages to install. But about 10% into the install it ALWAYS bails saying missing dependencies. So I try to remove those packages altogether, then it tells me I can't do that because it's missing dependencies (wtf?). I thought apt-get was supposed to spare me those headaches?

So now it won't let me install KDE, it won't let me install Gnome, and it won't let me upgrade anything else since it's whining about missing dependencies (something to do with gtk?), and it won't let me install those dependencies since it's missing dependencies...

All of this because apt-get thought it'd be a good idea to remove KDE 3.1 in an upgrade.

Anyone know...?
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

1. Reformat

2. Install XP or FreeBSD
    We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

I have Windows XP, Ted, you know me.

I have Linux because I need a *nix environment at home for homework (otherwise I'd be forced to stay at school at all hours of the night ).

I would install FreeBSD but it's even worse on the desktop than Linux is.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Ya, I agree with you on all those counts Asher.

You are pretty sensible when it comes what is the best OS for what you need to get done.
        We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Hey what distro are you using?

Comment

Libranet, it's basically a repackaged Debian with a nicer installer.

Comment

I would copy and paste the specific package errors, but the concept of a clipboard is too advanced for this window manager.

Comment

Damn, no easy answer on this one.

This is far worse than .dll hell.

What's the name of that Red Hat tool (don't think Red Hat makes it) that helps you resolve dependency issues? Does it work for Debian?

Damn I wish I remember the name of that...

Comment

I'm not using the rpms like Red Hat uses, I'm using .deb packages and apt-get/aptitude for Debian which was up to this point way easier than rpms ever were in terms of dependencies.

It's just that for some reason it purged KDE, refuses to install Gnome, and is now coughing on GTK stuff...

Comment

Ah, yuck, I have had GTK problems with X Windows Managers a few times actually.

Those are rough. After a couple of days of fighting in circles I just did a fresh install.

Comment

I got KDE3.1 reinstalled.

The process was entirely haphazard.

For some reason, "aptitude" would let me remove those packages screwing up upgrade installs. So I used that to remove it. But "aptitude" wouldn't upgrade properly, but "apt-get" would. Through about 10 upgrade attempts, I finally could do an "apt-get install kdebase". "apt-get install kde" won't work, it says I don't meet its requirements, but kdebase installed and all the other kde packages with it, and I'm now in KDE.

Next step is to fix Gnome...
                      It won't let me install gnome still.

Comment

Aren't you happy that *nix separates the windows manager from the operating system? If Explorer got wiped by Windows, you're SOL.
                        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                          Aren't you happy that *nix separates the windows manager from the operating system? If Explorer got wiped by Windows, you're SOL.
                          I'm certainly not happy *nix separates the windows manager from the OS, because when it's part of the OS, it ensures Explorer DOESN'T get wiped.

Not to mention the latency problems of having the GUI be a tacked on addition rather than built-in component.

If Explorer crashes, all you gotta do is type CTRL-ALT-DEL, File->New Task, and type in Explorer, then hit enter. You don't lose the programs you had running or anything, it just takes a couple seconds to reload explorer.

NT3 was the last time that the GUI was seperate from the OS, they've since moved on to more advanced methods.

Comment

So when I rebooted I went into XFCE or some other god-awful window environment since now I don't have KDE or Gnome.
                            I think it was twm, but that doesn't really matter...

Anyhoo, for your problems... try "apt-get -f install". It should try to fix your Debian install packagewise. It might also believe that to fix anything it needs to remove KDE again, so if apt-get has a "pretend only" flag, use it first. If it only gives you a list of packages to install and doesn't try to remove anything, it should be safe.

For some reason, "aptitude" would let me remove those packages screwing up upgrade installs. So I used that to remove it. But "aptitude" wouldn't upgrade properly, but "apt-get" would. Through about 10 upgrade attempts, I finally could do an "apt-get install kdebase". "apt-get install kde" won't work, it says I don't meet its requirements, but kdebase installed and all the other kde packages with it, and I'm now in KDE.
                            When I last used Debian, the different apt front-ends didn't automatically keep their package lists in sync - that is, if I used apt-get to install a package and then wanted to run dselect, I'd have to run "dselect update" first. This behaviour is probably still not changed.

As for Gnome and GTK, I can't tell much without the exact error messages you got...
                            This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

Originally posted by Ari Rahikkala
                              I think it was twm, but that doesn't really matter...

Anyhoo, for your problems... try "apt-get -f install". It should try to fix your Debian install packagewise. It might also believe that to fix anything it needs to remove KDE again, so if apt-get has a "pretend only" flag, use it first. If it only gives you a list of packages to install and doesn't try to remove anything, it should be safe.
                              I did try apt-get -f install, because it said to try that when the installs bailed, but that didn't help either.

As for Gnome and GTK, I can't tell much without the exact error messages you got...
                              Gnome says it requires a module that won't be installed (gnome-core I think). When I try to install gnome-core myself, it tells me that it requires a module that won't be installed, etc. At the end of the loop it ends up being some "libgstreamer" which "is in the database but not available" which prevents me from updating anything gnome related.

Comment

Working...
                              X