Privatizatizing Water: Another World Bank Disaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Privatizatizing Water: Another World Bank Disaster

This is old news, but it's the first that I'm hearing about it.

In 1999, private water companies and the World Bank, convinced South Africa to stop water subsidies in an isolated area. The outcome was disaterous for the people who lived there. They couldn't afford the water so they had to get water out of polluted streams. It caused a cholera epidemic.

How the hell can these free market economists at the World Bank be soooo stupid?

Anyone else know about other dirt on the World Bank?

Are they stupid or just corrupt?
    "When you ride alone, you ride with Bin Ladin"-Bill Maher
    "All capital is dripping with blood."-Karl Marx
    "Of course, my response to your Marx quote is 'So?'"-Imran Siddiqui

Just corrupt.

Read these:

"We are living in the future, I'll tell you how I know, I read it in the paper, Fifteen years ago" - John Prine

Comment

Agreed. The IMF and World Bank are morally bankrupt.
      "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
      -Bokonon

Comment

There was an interview about this with our "economy minister" - one of Austria's finest lobbyist as$holes (one of very few persons I could punch in the face 24/7).
        He sat there with a soft smile and just said, "privatizing water is not included in Austria's or EU offer" and then went on praising the fortunes of a completely privatized Education and Healthcare system. I'm sure that although the issue with water to him is "not in Austria's interest", it will be part of negotiations.

Man, everybody should be completely outraged, this is shameless!
        "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
        "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

DuncanK: The private water companies you mention are also synonymous with multinational oil corporations. Same ownership.

Water privatization has been a disaster in every country it has been implemented. Bush wants to privatize water in the United States.
          "We are living in the future, I'll tell you how I know, I read it in the paper, Fifteen years ago" - John Prine

Comment

Utilities should be privitized but regulated to prevent abuse.
            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Is this drinking water like Crystal Guyser?
              "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

LoA,

No, its the water that comes out of the pipes. Normally its subsidized. The government removed the subsidies and allowed private companies to meter the water. The poor folks couldn't afford it, so they used the polluted river water.

Comment

Ah yes. Was there any tariffs or quotas against foreign competitors?
                  "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Originally posted by Lawrence of Arabia
                    Ah yes. Was there any tariffs or quotas against foreign competitors?
                    Exactly the opposite. In order to get World Bank loans, the IMF forces local governments to allow private competition in the utilities market. Foreign firms come in and under bid for the services, then jack up the prices.

Comment

Utilities, Utilities....

This is not a simple issue. I'll give you an opposite example. in Israel, Water, and Electricity are state corporations. But the Trade Unions hold the government by the balls because there is no competition. They have free elecricity. They made the cost of electricity rise once again. ( though this can be also blamed on fuel costs ). Monopolies' trade unions are just as bad as private monopolies' owners.

I don't know what's the best solution. This requires thinking.
                      urgh.NSFW

Comment

Let's face a brutal fact. Poor countries can't afford to give endless subsidies for things even if giving those subsidies create greater social acuity. Forcing them to live with in their means will create better conditions for long term growth and thus less poverty in the long run. No one said life was easy being poor but alleviating poverty is a long term problem which requires a long term solution not unsustainable temporary handouts.
                        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Then they didnt privitize it correctly. If they didnt create enough competiting companies then the price will rise catastrophically.

Comment

Let's face a brutal fact. Poor countries can't afford to give endless subsidies for things even if giving those subsidies create greater social acuity. Forcing them to live with in their means will create better conditions for long term growth and thus less poverty in the long run. No one said life was easy being poor but alleviating poverty is a long term problem which requires a long term solution not unsustainable temporary handouts.
                            supplying fresh water is not "unsustainable temporary handouts".

let the government stop funding road building and maitenance. These are unsustainable temporary handouts.
                            urgh.NSFW

Comment

There is a water shortage in S.A.. Instead of rationing they cut the poorest folks off basically by privitizing.

I don't think the people could have afforded evian either so basically they were just ass out.

Comment

Working...
                              X