Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which college should I attend - - which foreign language should I take?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Texas A&M and arabic. When you are a soldier and in the desert and some Iraqis start shouting at you, you'll know what they are saying. And you can conduct field-interrogations.
    "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Texas A&M and definitely German.

I'd pick Japanese, because it's cool, but German tips the scales just a bit in my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawrence of Arabia
        Texas A&M and arabic. When you are a soldier and in the desert and some Iraqis start shouting at you, you'll know what they are saying. And you can conduct field-interrogations.
        In 4 1/2 years I may be in Korea actually, and then Japanese might be more useful.
        "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
        "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
        "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
        "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
          German is a really cool language, my best friend is dual-majoring in CompSci and German, and during 10th grade he was on an exchange program in Germany.

German just sounds damn cool, and you can sound very menacing saying very simple and innocent things with it.

German
          If your common knowledge of grammar is near perfect, then german is very easy (says my wife ). And that must be the truth when she says so.

I have never learned to speak german not even near to an acceptable niveau (all those "genetiv, akkusativ, über-unter-vor-etc......) . But it is indeed very easy to read and understand.
          First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then you win.

Gandhi

Comment

Originally posted by Kassiopeia
            I didn't vote a College, since I am not familiar enough with the system you have over there, but I did vote Japanese for the language. The learning curve is a bit steep in the beginning, but the grammar isn't that complicated; You'd just need to have the tendency to learn all the Kanji. I'm thinking of taking Japanese in University as a foreign language.
            steep in the beginning? Introductory courses are the easiest you'll take.

I'd say, choose the language that you're going to use the most to hit on girls. Which is EXACTLY why I went for japanese.

In 4 1/2 years I may be in Korea actually, and then Japanese might be more useful.
            Isnt germany or Korea still the most popular place for serving overseas? then either German or japanese would be best out of the 3 choices.
            :-p

Comment

Originally posted by Calc II
              Isnt germany or Korea still the most popular place for serving overseas? then either German or japanese would be best out of the 3 choices.
              Well, Germany is more for training than actually being stationed there. If there is a major war in the Middle East in 4 years then Arabic would be more useful. I'd gamble that SE Asia would be the hotspot at that time though.
              "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

I would have said Spanish but for your first post statement...

You might want to rethink not doing Spanish - I found it was quite an easy language to learn (and pronounce), easier than French, and once you have been studying one language you have more than a fair idea how many languages work.
                Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

If the elves speaks it, it's good enough for me too.
                  In da butt.
                  "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                  THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                  "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Japanese is winning at another forum, followed by German and Arabic...

Comment

Go German!

Duetsche ueber alles!

Seriously, I took German and it's not that hard, especially first year stuff - just remember to learn the genders of nouns and the conjugation of pronouns. I never really did and I was guessing through all five years I took (three in High School, two in college).

As to college - that's more of a personal deal I think.
                      I never know their names, But i smile just the same
                      New faces...Strange places,
                      Most everything i see, Becomes a blur to me
                      -Grandaddy, "The Final Push to the Sum"

Comment

Working...
                      X