Etna's gonna blow!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Etna's gonna blow!

Volcanic activity at Sicily's Mt. Etna, which has been rocked recently by quakes and an eruption, may become more frequent and potentially more dangerous in the future, Italian researchers say.

They said they had evidence a big pool of magma was roiling just below the surface of the volcano.

Mt. Etna last jolted to life in October with a flurry of quakes. It erupted in December, injuring 32 people in an explosion at a tourist complex.

Domenico Patane of Italy's National Institute of Geophysics and Volcanology and colleagues analysed 647 earthquakes that originated near Mt. Etna between 1994 and 2001.

Their analysis suggests that during this period, a huge volume of magma intruded beneath the volcano through a weak area where two fault lines intersect, causing the quakes.

The quakes caused pressure that forced magma up into a shallower reservoir, they report in Friday's issue of the journal Science.

"Geophysical evidences (sic) ... indicate that a considerable quantity of magma is still accumulated beneath the volcano in the shallow storage zone," they wrote.

"Considering that the volcano has been intensely fractured during the last two flank eruptions, Mt. Etna eruptive activity could become more frequent, voluminous and potentially hazardous in the near future."
    Not again

I thought Etna was already errupting. I also herad recently that Stromboli was errupting.

BTW, there's an article in the latest Discover magazine that sargues that volcanoes are 18% more likely to errupt in winter than any other season. Apparently, winter storms pile water up in the North Pacific, which causes more pressure on the crust. Furthermore, winter in the Northern hemisphere tends to deform the planet slightly, which may also trigger erruptions around the globe.
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

yeah I read that article.

I can't believe I stayed in a hotel on the side of that Volcano. The shouldn't put towns on the sides of volcanos, but there are some space limitation so I can't think of a better solution to this problem.

Comment

It's shocking, and look what hapopened to Pompeii back in the Roman Era. Total devestation.

Comment

Yeah, but volcanos don't spend all their time erupting, and the land can be especially fertile. Ya rollz the dice, ya takes yer chances.

Ain't no place on Earth safe from the forces of nature.
          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Las Vegas is safe. We have no natural disasters.

Even flash floods aren't natural. If there were no city here flash floods wouldn't be a problem. And they aren't a problem now that we have our flood control sytems in place now.

Nothing bad ever happens to my city. We are too far away from the ring of fire.

Anything bad that happens to my city will be terrorist or world war related...

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident
              Las Vegas is safe. We have no natural disasters.
              Fire and earthquakes.

Comment

las vegas is its own natural disaster
                "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Heat death?
                  Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
                  Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

Elvis impersonators conventions ?
                    What?

Comment

volcanoes rock

I want to be there when it blows. Watching from a safe distance that is.
                      CSPA

Comment

Working...
                      X