Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About Wedding Rings and Proposing.

Hi,

I'm in Singapore right now, seeing my girlfriend (I come from NZ), I've seen her for 2 years and known her for 6. We have a serious relationship, not a childish one.

We have already discussed marriage and that we are getting married next year; even though I have not proposed yet.

Anyway, I'm going to propose to her on Valentines Day, I thought, since I am here for 3 weeks and I won't see her again till October, I thought VDay would be a great time to propose since I will still be here on that day. (I leave on the 19th of Feb).

My problem is that, I've been told that there are two rings, the engagement ring, which you wear until the day you get married, and then the actual wedding ring, which you wear your entire life. Is this true? What other alternatives are there? (while staying in the boundries of christianity).

It's quite ironic, because right when I decided I would propose to her, she's started to get very annoying and frustrating; so naturally I am getting nervous and concerned. Divorce is not an option once we are married.
    be free

I gave my wife a dollar bill, rolled into a ring. Neither one of us are very materialistic, so we could save the horrific amounts of money spent on several rings (One or both of which contain expensive diamonds) for something more useful, like a home together.

I gave her a small sapphire ring soon after that as a gift, and we called it an engagement/promise ring.

We then picked our wedding ring set later, but her engagement ring will always be the dollar bill ring I gave her the night I proposed.
    Some days are diamonds, some days are rocks...

Comment

Do yourself a favor and make sure the Engagement ring is one she really likes. The style you buy will be analyzed forever by her and her women friends, and it will suggest to her whether or not or "really" understand her.

Since you have both discussed marriage, the idea that you may be looking for an Engagement ring will not come as a surprize. Trust me, she knows more about how close you are to proposing than you probably know yourself.

So let her "help" you to decide which style of ring would seem right to her.

And that goes triple for a Wedding ring!

Suggestion: When you are out together, drop into a jewler shop to have your watch "repaired" (pop out one of those little pins that holds the watch to the strap). While you are waiting, look at the Engagement rings and comment on a few. She will be sure to give you some strong clues on which styles she likes.
      Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
      Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
      Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
      Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul

Comment

Well, actually I know what she wants, she's a decent and smart woman, she is not interested in glamour etc. She just wants two plain rings. I'm very sure I will be getting platinum.
        be free

Comment

note: Women hate being proposed to on days like Christmas, Valentines Day, etc. They don't want to have to share the day They also want 'extra' gifts. Hehe...
          "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
          You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Geez, I am lucky to have my g/f if that's what your g/f's have pulled you through.
            be free

Comment

I think the engagement ring is worn for life too, my wife wears hers. You don't have to worry about the wedding rings till the wedding.

It's quite ironic, because right when I decided I would propose to her, she's started to get very annoying and frustrating; so naturally I am getting nervous and concerned. Divorce is not an option once we are married.
              Better find out why she's getting "annoying and frustrating" all of a sudden, although I tend to think it's probably a passing phase considering that you were together for two years.

That's great that you guys will probably get married. Marriage is takes work, but it is more than worth it! You will learn to be unselfish, and there is nothing better than having your lover and a best friend all rolled into one.

Good luck mate, and keep us posted eh?
              ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
              ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

I did a poor job of the whole proposal thing.
                The only thing I got right was letting her choose the engagement ring.
                "I'm so happy I could go and drive a car crash!"
                "What do you mean do I rape strippers too? Is that an insult?"
                - Pekka

Comment

Originally posted by Sn00py
                  Geez, I am lucky to have my g/f if that's what your g/f's have pulled you through.
                  no, my ex girlfriend put me through much, much worse.
                  You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

Comment

My parents' anniversary is December 26th. My mother says that, while it seemed romantic at the time, she has regretted it ever since. Maybe that's why June weddings are so popular - a good spread among Christmas, Valentine's Day, and the anniversary.

BTW, I've never even been engaged. But I *have* heard numerous tales of misery from a lot of married guys who didn't make sure the Engagement ring was satisfactory to the bride-to-be.

Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
                    Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
                    Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
                    Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul

Comment

Don't ask her on Valentine's Day. Make it a special and unique day which isn't a holiday.
                      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

**walks by thread......slams on breaks** Did someone say rings??? I do love good jewelry.

Ok, the guys are right on this one. If you are going to ask her on Valentines day.... the same day everyone else and their dog asks someone to get married.......... then make 110% sure that you make it the most special occassion of her life. Remember she will relive that moment over and over and over and over and.......well you get the picture so get it right the first time.

Since you have said you both aren't materialistic then find something that speaks to your heart and that you can live with.

We used the old addage that goes along with the wedding day, something old, something new, something borrowed etc...... My birthstone is ruby and a friend of mine had a beautiful ring filled with rubies and diamonds. She no longer wore it nor wanted to keep it so she passed it on to me for my something old and to put with it we got simple gold wedding bands.

Simplicity also gives you something to add to down the road as well. If you get that big job and make the big bucks for an anniversary you can always upgrade her original model or have a copy made with jewels or you can add matching jewelry to it which is what Steve did for christmas for me this year. He got a ruby and diamond cross that is almost a perfect match to my engagement ring. So you do have many options.

And don't feel alone on the two ring issue. That was a big sticking point for us before we got married.
                        Welcome to earth, my name is Tia and I'll be your tour guide for this trip.
                        Succulent and Bejeweled Mother Goddess, who is always moisturised yet never greasy, always patient yet never suffers fools~Starchild
                        Dragons? Yup- big flying lizards with an attitude. ~ Laz
                        You are forgiven because you are FABULOUS ~ Imran

Comment

see, 2 posts already agree with me

I talk sense, i really do!

Comment

Snoopy, give her a small gift when you propose (but not a ring).

Not every woman wants an engagement ring. Personally, I don't like rings with gems in raised mounts (like a typical engagement ring), so I opted for a wide gold wedding band. Your wife-to-be might want to do the same.
                            ACOL owner/administrator

Comment

But isn't a band a bracelet?
                              be free

Comment

Working...
                              X