All Time All Star Baseball Teams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Flatlander Fox
    He's better than a valuable player, he is the greatest hitter/slugger of our generation.

The old fogeys got to watch Mays, Mantle and Musial play. I watched Gwynn and Boggs and Mattingly play, and now we get to watch Bonds play.

He IS that good, and is easily the best player of the nineties.
    I'm more impressed by his ability to earn a walk over his bat avg, either by IBB or BB, because that really is his biggest threat to any team. (Well I guess having the credit of being a monster helps to attain the walk but...)
    :-p

Comment

All time:

C: Johnny Bench/Yogi Berra
      1B: Lou Gehrig/Jimmie Foxx
      2B: Joe Morgan/Rogers Hornsby
      3B: Mike Schmidt/George Brett
      SS: Honus Wagner/Cal Ripken
      LF: Ted Williams/Barry Bonds
      CF: Willie Mays/Mickey Mantle
      RF: Babe Ruth/Frank Robinson

SP: Walter Johnson, Lefty Grove, Tom Seaver, Roger Clemens, Bob Gibson
      RP: Goose Gossage, Dennis Eckersley

Active:

C: Mike Piazza/Pudge Rodriguez
      1B: Jeff Bagwell/Jason Giambi
      2B: Jeff Kent/Roberto Alomar
      3B: Scott Rolen/Chipper Jones (yes, I know Chipper doesn't play 3B anymore, but...)
      SS: Alex Rodriguez/Nomar Garciaparra
      LF: Barry Bonds/Rickey Henderson (in terms of career value)
      CF: Bernie Williams/Junior Griffey (again, career value)
      RF: Vlad Guerrero/Sammy Sosa
      DH: Manny Ramirez/Edgar Martinez

SP: Roger Clemens, Greg Maddux, Tom Glavine, Pedro Martinez, Randy Johnson
      RP: John Smoltz, Mariano Rivera
      Last edited by Vlad Antlerkov; February 7, 2003, 07:33.
      oh god how did this get here I am not good with livejournal

Comment

Dunno about all-time... too hard to choose.

Now:

C: Pudge/Piazza
        1B: Giambi/Thome
        2B: Soriano (small sample size, I know, but if he can do what he did with zero strike zone recognition... what if he manages to learn some?)/Alomar
        3B: Glaus/Rolen
        SS: A-Rod/Tejada
        LF: Bonds/G. Anderson
        CF: Bernie Williams/Torii Hunter
        RF: Vlad/Manny Ramirez

SP: Unit
        SP: Pedro
        SP: Zito
        SP: Maddux
        SP: Shilling

RP: Mariano, Smoltz

-Arrian
        grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

You were saying?

I was and I continue to say that Ryan isn't as good as Seaver .

There is more to pitching than a fastball, Sloww. IIRC, Ryan never even won a Cy Young Award. Seaver has 3, in many less seasons . Seaver also led the league in ERA 3 times and has 5 20 game winning seasons, compared to 2 20 game winning seasons for Ryan and leading the league in ERA 2 times.

You were saying?
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I think relying on win/loss stats is silly. In Ryan's case, he often was playing for a mediocre, or even downright bad, team. ERA vs. league ERA... that's what matters to me.

I've not examined the Seaver vs. Ryan debate, so I don't know what my criteria of choice would say.

I just don't like basing opinions of pitchers on W/L, when it could be that they pitched for the 2002 Tampa Bay Devil Rays.

-Arrian
            grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

New-Time Team: (I'll do Old-Time later)

C: Mike Piazza [S], Ivan Rodriguez

Rodriguez's been tailing off, so Piazza's bat gets the starting nod.

1B: Jason Giambi [S], Todd Helton, Jim Thome

I think we're gonna see a monster year out of Giambi, kids. Cross your fingers

2B: Roberto Alomar, Alfonso Soriano [S]

One bad year does not cost Alomar a spot, but Soriano's going to redefine this position in the next decade

SS: Nomar Garciaparra, Alex Rodriguez [S]

Okay, okay, I'll admit it... Jeter's a tad overrated. There was no way he was beating out A-Rod here anyway.

3B: Eric Chavez, Scott Rolen [S]

Rolen might explode now that he's finally in friendlier confines.

LF: Barry Bonds [S], Brian Giles

Giles is here because he carries the entire load of the Pittsburgh Pirates franchise on his back and doesn't get enough recognition for it.

CF: Lance Berkman [S], Jim Edmonds, Bernie Williams

Don't you dare give me **** over putting Bernie here.

RF: Vladimir Guerrero [S], Sammy Sosa

I bet Vlad can't wait for the move to D.C. next season, because then everyone will finally see what the hubbub is all about.

DH: Edgar Martinez

Just needed to be said.

SP: Bartolo Colon, Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez, Curt Schilling, Barry Zito

The Unit and Schilling are the vets, Pedro's the superstar, and Colon and Zito are the anchor rocks. The short of Maddux not being on this list is "I don't like him" and "I think he's overrated".

RP: Billy Koch, Trevor Hoffman, Mariano Rivera

Koch for a helping hand, Hoffman's my closer and Mo's my setup guy - which is what he always should have been, dammit!
              CGN | a bunch of incoherent nonsense
              Chris Jericho: First-Ever Undisputed Champion of Professional Wrestling & God Incarnate
              Mystique & Aura: Appearing Nightly @ Yankee Stadium! | Red & Pewter Pride
              Head Coach/General Manager, Kyrandia Dragonhawks (2004 Apolyton Fantasy Football League Champions)

Comment

Put Pudge with your "Old Team" roster.
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Arrian, Seaver didn't always have the best of teams either .

Also, if you use Bill James' win shares measure, Seaver has 389.4 Win Shares and Ryan has 332.3 win shares (divide by 3 to get total number of games won by themselves... well more or less).

I'm NOT saying that Ryan was bad. I'm just saying that Ryan isn't as good as Seaver. I mean, there is a great case to be made that Seaver is the best after WW2 pitcher (maybe even better than Koufax or Randy Johnson or Pedro Martinez).

Don't you dare give me **** over putting Bernie here.

I'd personally put Cameron on there. Not even mention Cameron's upside... or perhaps Torii Hunter.
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

All time:

C: Josh Gibson
                    1: Lou Gehrig
                    2: Jackie Robinson
                    SS: Ernie Banks
                    3: Mike Schmidt
                    OF: Hank Aaron, Babe Ruth, Mickey Mantle
                    P: Satchel Paige
                    "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Reismark, I don't see how you can put Billy Koch up there with Hoffman and Rivera. The guy the A's traded Koch for (Keith Foulke) is better than Koch by any standard except the radar gun.
                      "THE" plus "IRS" makes "THEIRS". Coincidence? I think not.

Comment

He likes the speed of the pitches, rather than their quality .

Comment

While I'm at it, best players not in the Hall of Fame (excluding active players, those not yet eligible, and those permanently ineligible):

C: Joe Torre
                          1B: D!ck Allen
                          2B: Joe Gordon
                          3B: Ron Santo
                          SS: Vern Stephens
                          LF: Minnie Minoso
                          CF: George van Haltren
                          RF: Dwight Evans

SP: Bert Blyleven, Jim Kaat, Bob Caruthers, Tommy John, Luis Tiant
                          RP: Goose Gossage

Manager: Billy Martin ()

Edit: correcting autocensor
                          Edit again: Forgot Eckersley isn't eligible yet.
                          Last edited by Vlad Antlerkov; February 16, 2003, 18:20.
                          oh god how did this get here I am not good with livejournal

Comment

Working...
                          X