Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

***@*@*** What In The Blue Blazes Wrong With Mortgage Companies!?!?!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Once you get the mortgage, try and get a redraw facility - that means if you get ahead in your mortgage payments you can redraw that money and only pay the mortgage interest rate. This is the lowest loan interest rate you can get, much better than personal loans or credit card rates. It also means you only have one debt to manage and avoid all the fees and charges of multiple loans. You really get stiffed on personal loans, hire purchase and credit cards. Pay out that furniture loan as fast as you can they are the worst!!!! Then the cars!!!! AAArgh!!! NEVER borrow money to buy depreciating assets like cars!!! (unless you have to - I understand etc.)

Another thing to do if you have outstanding loans is refinance your mortgage once the property you buy goes up in value enough. Then pay out all your loans with higher interest rates and roll them into the mortgage. You will save very large sums of money in interest and lower your weekly repayment overheads substantially.

Also, get a variable interest rate loan and pay extra off whenever you can. This is an excellent way to save money and reduces both the time you take to pay off the mortgage and the interest charges. You can save literally tens of thousands of dollars by cutting the term of your loan this way. Even small additional payments, say 10 dollars extra each payment, add up hugely because of the compound effect. Put any lump sums you get into the mortgage as well and make your repayments weekly rather than monthly. Just doing this cuts the mortgage substantantially because interest is calculated monthly and weekly payments reduce the balance on which this is calculated. Just by paying weekly you actually make a couple of extra payments a year which comes straight off the bottom line of what you owe and has a lasting benefit in terms of interest you never have to pay.
    Last edited by Alexander's Horse; February 4, 2003, 22:56.
    Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Tiamat:

Check with some banks too. IIRC Bank of America has a program called Acorn which gets first time buyers set up to buy a house. They help you deal with credit issues, set up budgets, hold your hand through the mortgage application and sale process, etc. We sold our old house to a young Hispanic couple who were just starting out and had been through this program. Sellers and agents love to deal with Acorn buyers because they know there will be no surprises which would make the deal fall through at the last minute.
      Old posters never die.
      They j.u.s.t..f..a..d..e...a...w...a...y....

Comment

Horse, I suspect that credit cards are quite different in the US. Apparently Americans leave a ton of outstanding debt on their credit cards. Given the numbers that I saw, I would be very surprised if credit card interest rates are as bad there as they are here.

Does anybody know what the interest rates on credit cards are in the US or Aus (after interest free period runs out)? Australian credit card rates used to be insanely high.
        "I'm so happy I could go and drive a car crash!"
        "What do you mean do I rape strippers too? Is that an insult?"
        - Pekka

Comment

Maybe, Tiamat would need to check.
          Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

"Low" interest is around 11% (usually with no interest-free period), higher ones are at 15% (with interest free period).
            The ones I have access to are anyway.
            I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Originally posted by Skanky Burns
              Ming, doesn't that end up costing you money just to bump your credit rating up? Such as all the interest they charge you?
              But only marginally. If you borrow at a decent rate, you offset it by the interest earned while you pay the loan off. In the old days, when the stock market was on a roll, you could actually make a profit by investing the money... but those days a long gone for now
              Keep on Civin'
              RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

We'd been told about the credit card idea except wouldn't the fact that he doesn't have much credit keep him from getting that credit card? Are we not banging our head up agains the preverbial wall?

Thanks for the Acorn reference. I will ask about that tomorrow. And the Fannie Mae idea turned out to be a plus for me. I used to work at a club/resturant/sheeeee sheeee pooooo poooo establishment, but one of the members there just recently happened to be appointed one of the new directors ceo type persons at the Fannie Mae foundation. So maybe it's time to look up old friends.
                Welcome to earth, my name is Tia and I'll be your tour guide for this trip.
                Succulent and Bejeweled Mother Goddess, who is always moisturised yet never greasy, always patient yet never suffers fools~Starchild
                Dragons? Yup- big flying lizards with an attitude. ~ Laz
                You are forgiven because you are FABULOUS ~ Imran

Comment

Working...
                X