What is csc.exe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is csc.exe?

I could use some help. My comp went haywire the other day and would only work in 16 colours and min resolution. It would let me change it in the display menu but when it rebooted would always be 16 colours etc.

Anyway, I ran Norton Antivirus and it found and quarantined a virus of unknown name, and about half a second later crashed. Every time I start up Norton now, it crashes within 3 seconds or so. There is no error message - it just closes.

So I fiddled around, and discovered my system.ini was corrupted. I replaced it with a backup and re-downloaded drivers and stuff, and eventually I am back, more or less, to normal.

Except:

1. Nortan not working now is a little worrying. Do you think this could be an effect of the virus? I have tried reinstalling it twice.

2. I have a program csc.exe running on startup. I can't seem to get rid of it. I have no idea what it does, but if I delete it or move it, it is back on the next reboot. Does anyone know what this is?

Any help would be appreciated.

A google search for "csc.exe" suggests that it might be a C# compiler.
    I know jack about PC's so can't help you further, but thought I should share the fruits of my research with you.
    If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

How much trouble to format your drive and install
      whatever windows, internet and programs.

I format mine once a year just to get all the junk off
      my drive.

Comment

Oh God, I certainly don't want to format my drive if I can help it.

FP: I did the same google serach myslef, but I assumed that it was just something called the same. Why would a C compliler run at startup? Unless it is disguised to look like a C compiler?

Comment

Yes, I would think that C# compiler should not run at startup. In fact, I think it shouldn't even be there unless you wither installed it specifically, separately, or together with Visual Studio .NET.

I would suggest you try to reinstall Norton first and see what happens. If it still doesn't work, then reformatting the hard drive might be your best bet...
          XBox Live: VovanSim
          xbox.com (login required)
          Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
          Spore page

Comment

Anyway, I ran Norton Antivirus and it found and quarantined a virus of unknown name, and about half a second later crashed. Every time I start up Norton now, it crashes within 3 seconds or so. There is no error message - it just closes.
            this seems to be a virus, that shuts down your defensive software.
            try downloading an antivirus from www.grisoft.com. they have a freedownload of AVG, a solid antivirus they've developed, and AFAIK, worms don't shut it down, because it's rather unknown. If it shuts down as well, just use the "start" menu, the "find/search" directory, and click viruses. It should work.
            urgh.NSFW

Comment

Could be the Bugbear virus.

"We are living in the future, I'll tell you how I know, I read it in the paper, Fifteen years ago" - John Prine

Comment

Thanks a lot Static! It is indeed the Bugbear virus, although the names are different on the page you linked to. Mine are called FTFF.exe and lvllvug.dll in the system directory.

I went to housecall.antivirus.com and ran their scan, and they identify it as Bugbear_worm_A.

Now I have to get rid of it..... time to shut down into dos.

Comment

Try these sites.
                  All have information on how to fight viruses. Some will even scan your computer for free.
                  There are specific methods for getting rid of each virus. One of the best sites is www.sarc.com , also listed below. These sites will give you step by step procedure on how to remove a virus.

Try one of our new McAfee+ plans and get online protection today!

Symantec security research centers around the world provide unparalleled analysis of and protection from IT security threats that include malware, security risks, vulnerabilities, and spam.

Symantec security research centers around the world provide unparalleled analysis of and protection from IT security threats that include malware, security risks, vulnerabilities, and spam.

Detect and fix viruses, worms, spyware, and other malicious threats for free.

Comment

This is evidently an attempt to give .NET a bad reputation. I'm betting some fanatic Java supporter is behind it all.
                    får jag köpa din syster? tre kameler för din syster!

Comment

hi ,

Buy the domain name Esafe.com and launch your business with a premium domain and a high quality logo.

try www.cyberscub.com also , this tool delete's your cache and therefore bugs that remain there hiding for reboot , .....

how long since the last reformating ?

it does not hurt to reformat he drives after "x" amount of time , ....

have a nice day , huh , without problems
                      - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                      - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                      WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

OK, I had difficulty deleting C:/_RESTORE in DOS, so I downloaded the AVG program that Azazel pointed me to. It found and deleted the virus, so I am now virus free!!!

Actually, I was very impressed with AVG - it seems much nicer than Norton, and its free!

Thanks for all your help guys

Comment

Originally posted by Al'Kimiya
                          This is evidently an attempt to give .NET a bad reputation. I'm betting some fanatic Java supporter is behind it all.
                          Hi Asher! I didn't know you changed your screename... and I see your a Lovecraft fan to boot!

Comment

Originally posted by Rogan Josh
                            OK, I had difficulty deleting C:/_RESTORE in DOS, so I downloaded the AVG program that Azazel pointed me to. It found and deleted the virus, so I am now virus free!!!

Actually, I was very impressed with AVG - it seems much nicer than Norton, and its free!
                            I wish people would stop recommending AVG!! the reason it works so well is that it's pretty unknown, so lets just keep it quiet eh???

Comment

Originally posted by JohnT
                              Hi Asher! I didn't know you changed your screename... and I see your a Lovecraft fan to boot!
                              Tss...
                              får jag köpa din syster? tre kameler för din syster!

Comment

Working...
                              X