No announcement yet.

Parliament may investigate whether E.U. funds back Palestinian terrorism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Then why is Patten opposing the inquiry? Moreover, Arafat has been linked to supporting terrorism, if you would have noted evidence linking Arafat to terrorist groups was found during the attack on Arafat's compound.
    But we don't know it's EU money being used.

I doubt the money they are getting would be that easily replaced.
    Maybe.

$10 million a month a pittance?
    Yes. Given the PAs needs and the corruption, it's not very much.

So by that logic, we better pay criminals, so they won't have to sell crack or rob our houses?
    So you'd prefer to live with even more terrorism than see aid given to the Palestinians?

Nor is it demonstrated anywhere where the money does go to. Hence the investigation.
    "As of yet we have little idea of where the money is going." Happy?

Comment

So you'd prefer to live with even more terrorism than see aid given to the Palestinians?

strawman alert.

I never objected to giving aid to the palestinians.

I objected to giving aid which ends up funding terrorism, and this is what the discussion is about.

"As of yet we have little idea of where the money is going." Happy?

your point?

i say: "no one tracks the money, and there are suspicions that it funds terrorism".
      you quote an official: "we have no idea where the money really goes to"

But we don't know it's EU money being used.

Whether Arafat uses this money to build himself a house, or fund a terrorist doesn't matter.

What matters is that people should be sure that the aid money does reach the palestinians, instead of private bank accounts, or turns into ammunition.

Comment

This inquiry will go nowhere because everyone already knows the answer, the money funds terror because that is what the PA does with its money.

And, no, they will not cut the PA off. They consider the Palestinian side to be the cause to back, morally.

Also, Israel already knows that today's EU, dominated by France and Germany, is an enemy. France and Germany are also no friends of the United States.

In the words of Rumsfeld, France and Germany are "problem" states.

I personally have seen enough. If France and Germany do not come around on Iraq, for instance, I would be in favor of severing military ties with these countries and placing them on a restricted list (for visa, information flow, etc.) reserved for enemy states. I would extend that to Greece and any other close supporter of those two countries.
        http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

Originally posted by Shi Huangdi

Moreover, Arafat has been linked to supporting terrorism, if you would have noted evidence linking Arafat to terrorist groups was found during the attack on Arafat's compound.
          I'm really dubious about that statement. Who uncovered the evidence, the Israelis, or an impartial investigator? The Israel governemt is certainly not above planting evidence to support their cause IMO.

Comment

EU institutions are moving against the general current in the world and is trying to develop its democratic institutions.

It is clear that working for justice for the Palestinians must be done within a legal framework involving clear accounting practices.

Support for the Palestinian cause will be made much more effecient that way.

Comment

Re: Parliament may investigate whether E.U. funds back Palestinian terrorism

Little difference between "E.U. funds back Palestinian terrorism" and "whether its donations to the Palestinian Authority are being used to fund terrorism", isn´t it?
              Blah

Comment

strawman alert.

I never objected to giving aid to the palestinians.

I objected to giving aid which ends up funding terrorism, and this is what the discussion is about.
                Um, you suggested that I support giving money to criminals so they wouln't have to commit crimes, the strawman is of your making.

According to the one opinion in the article, ANY aid is bad, since it frees up funds from other sources that could be used for terrorist activities. Frankly, I think that reducing aid will make terrorism and the plight of the general population worse.

Whether Arafat uses this money to build himself a house, or fund a terrorist doesn't matter.

What matters is that people should be sure that the aid money does reach the palestinians, instead of private bank accounts, or turns into ammunition.
                Well, it's difficult to find out where aid goes in normal situations, let alone in the PAs territory.

How do you invisage the money getting to the people and not the terrorists?

Comment

Originally posted by Ned
                  I personally have seen enough. If France and Germany do not come around on Iraq, for instance, I would be in favor of severing military ties with these countries and placing them on a restricted list (for visa, information flow, etc.) reserved for enemy states. I would extend that to Greece and any other close supporter of those two countries.
                  If you gonna put allys with such a hurry on your enemy list, you gonna have no allys left by tomorrow and exchanged them for enemys.

Funny thing your opinion indeed
                  If its no fun why do it? Dance like noone is watching...

Comment

Ned, You got it backwards. France and Germany are strong supporters of the Greek stance.

Comment

"
                      But we don't know it's EU money being used."

Again as the article says even if EU money isn't being used directly to help terrorist, it could be used to free up $ for terrorist ventures.

"
                      Yes. Given the PAs needs and the corruption, it's not very much."

$120 million/year is still quite a bit of money especially considering how much of Palestinian weapondry is inexpensive. But even it is a pittance, it isn't ok to fund terrorism even by a small amount.

"

So you'd prefer to live with even more terrorism than see aid given to the Palestinians?"

How has EU aid influenced Palestinian behavior in any positive way at all?

"
                      "As of yet we have little idea of where the money is going." Happy?"

So does this mean you support the inquiry and shutting off aid it if turns out it is going to terrorism?

"I would be in favor of severing military ties with these countries and placing them on a restricted list (for visa, information flow, etc.) reserved for enemy states."

I hardly see how that will help anything
                      "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

Quote reply-o-matic:

Again as the article says even if EU money isn't being used directly to help terrorist, it could be used to free up $ for terrorist ventures.
                        I dismiss this view above. Anyway, what does it free up money from? Schools? Hospitals? Sanitation?
                        $120 million/year is still quite a bit of money especially considering how much of Palestinian weapondry is inexpensive. But even it is a pittance, it isn't ok to fund terrorism even by a small amount.
                        It's not wrong to think you're funding social stuff, only to have a portion of that money used in a way you don't expect it to be. That's the problem of giving aid.
                        How has EU aid influenced Palestinian behavior in any positive way at all?
                        It makes them not hate everyone in the West. It reduces their desperation just a bit. It could fund educational programmes to produce replacement moderate Palestinian leaders. It makes them less likely to turn to crime.
                        How has the pittance of aid influenced Palestinian behaviour in any negative way?

Comment

Working...
                        X