The Hours - a dreadful movie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Hours - a dreadful movie

I saw The Hours last week because it won for best drama at the Golden Globes.

The film, IMHO, is dreadful - boring beyond belief and dreadfully acted by all except Ed Harris. After seeing the film, I am utterly shocked that it was even nominated for best picture by the Golden Globes, let alone winning the award. There is only one possible reason for this - its subject matter. For those who want to see the movie, I will not reveal the plot. However, this is simply not enough to make up for the horridness of the film.

A real downer.
    http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

First off, it's winter, and there is never a good movie out this time of year.

Second, you should know that the Golden Globes are run by a bunch of old gizers that can even take leak without help. They never review all the movies and usualy only reward "artful" movies such as the Hours.

Because of this, this is why the Oscars and Guild Actors (which are one and the same BTW) try to by racey to thumb their noises a the GGs.
    I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Comment

Originally posted by Thrawn05
      First off, it's winter, and there is never a good movie out this time of year.

Second, you should know that the Golden Globes are run by a bunch of old gizers that can even take leak without help. They never review all the movies and usualy only reward "artful" movies such as the Hours.

Because of this, this is why the Oscars and Guild Actors (which are one and the same BTW) try to by racey to thumb their noises a the GGs.
      Well, some of the artsy movies are really good. Take last year's Mulholland Drive. A great film, IMHO.
      http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

Gangs of New York did quite well, too, in spite of being the emptiest spectacle Scorsese's ever produced - the only Scorsese film I feel I'd get nothing out of seeing it again.
        yada

Comment

Well, I havn't been going to movies for a long time. I'm pretty sike of endless shoddy CGI animations.
          I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Comment

First off, I'd like to say that I am not some pretentious art film lover. My taste runs more towards things like Minority Report than talky dramas- there's some thought, but it's not just people philosophizing. In other words, I generally distrust and don't see films like this.

That said, I thought The Hours was excellent. One of the best films of the year, even. That said, I suppose I can see why you didn't like it. To give an example from the film's score- it's a fine line between hypnotic and repetitive, and I feel it stayed on the right side. The same with the plot. I was absolutely on the edge of my seat waiting for something to happen- and it did, eventually. Maybe it's just because Virignia Woolf was such a nutty and interesting figure, and the parallels were just different enough to keep me guessing.

I will say no more for fear of spoiling the film, except to avoid reviews of this movie like the plauge. I checked them on a lark after seeing the movie, and most of them (Ebert, the NY Times) spoil the movie wildly. It's best to go in knowing practically nothing other than that it's a good movie. I think the Washington Post had a review that didn't actually spoil it, which was good.
            All syllogisms have three parts.
            Therefore this is not a syllogism.

Comment

Hours??? crap... Gangs of DiCrapio??? bad...

No good movies out in winter?? WTF! LOTR:Two Towers was awesome...
              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I'm reading "The Hours" right now. It's a hard book to get into. Hopefully it will pick up soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Loif
                  I'm reading "The Hours" right now. It's a hard book to get into. Hopefully it will pick up soon.
                  and I thought there was nothing worse than having to see the movie
                  To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

At this point, I'm beginning to wonder.

Comment

is that the one with Nicole Kidman in it?

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident
                        is that the one with Nicole Kidman in it?
                        Yeah. She plays Virginia Wolfe. I understand that Nicole is a real b... in real life. Well she played herself. Self centered and obnoxious.

Obviously best actress material here.

Comment

Working...
                        X