Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My old Army unit is going to Iraq; should I go too?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My old Army unit is going to Iraq; should I go too?

I was on the phone with an old army buddy of mine from my old reserve unit today and he told me the unit is going to be activated at the beginning of summer and sent to Iraq. Supposedly the fighting will be over by then and the active duty army will begin handing over some of the day to day stuff over to reserve units.

Now comes the big question. My friend (a SFC) asked me if I would like to go too; he said there was a shortage of experienced men in the unit and everyone would be glade to have me if I would reenlist and come along. I admit I was really flattered that a friend who was going into danger wants me to go with him, but I'm not sure. Technically, I'm still in the IRR so I could jump in right where I left off and keep my rank of SGT (maybe even get a promotion to E-6).

I'm torn though. I got out of the army because I didn't like all the BS but still there is the definite pull on the heartstrings when friends say to me they want me there if they're going into danger. Do any of you have any suggestions? What would you folks do?
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Absolutely not. Why go fight and possibly die in a war that doesn't affect you?
    Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
    Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

The assumption is that the fighting would be over by the beginning of summer and this would then be garrason duty.

Comment

Tough call.
        Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

I do not believe the fight would be ended by summer (remeber, Kosovo war was to last 3 days, not 3 months), and I do believe you could be sent to the field if things get ugly.
          I'd advise to extreme caution in this one, and notably I'd advise you to know exactly when and under what circumstances you'll be able to leave. And most importantly, I'd advise you to take everything the military says as a blatant lie
          "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
          "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
          "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

What about the Geologist career? Will this interrupt things?
            http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

Comment

Yes, this would very much interrupt my career as a Geologist. OTOH, I got laid off last month so any interuption would be with a job which is theoretical at this point.

I honestly do hope/think I will be able to get another position in the next couple of weeks. We'll see though and until then I'll just keep on 'polying.

Comment

Even if the fighting is over, how safe would an American soldier (reserve or otherwise) be in Iraq?
                One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

I know how you feel. My old Navy squadron did gulf duty during Desert Storm right after I got out. You will think about them, but I doubt you will reenlist.
                  "When you ride alone, you ride with Bin Ladin"-Bill Maher
                  "All capital is dripping with blood."-Karl Marx
                  "Of course, my response to your Marx quote is 'So?'"-Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Originally posted by Big Crunch
                    Even if the fighting is over, how safe would an American soldier (reserve or otherwise) be in Iraq?
                    There will be a little danger, but there probably wont be more loses than we are getting in Afganistan.
                    "When you ride alone, you ride with Bin Ladin"-Bill Maher
                    "All capital is dripping with blood."-Karl Marx
                    "Of course, my response to your Marx quote is 'So?'"-Imran Siddiqui

Comment

A friend invites you to join him in some foriegn, hostile country...

...and you're flattered?

Anyway, I agree with the general sentiment in this thread that you should wait a bit longer than the end-of-summer before thinking about going. Even if the fighting "ends" in summer, there will still be engagements LONG afterwards. Just look at Afghanistan for proof...

Whatever you decide...follow Buffy the Vampire Slayer's advice:

"Don't die."
                      The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Re: My old Army unit is going to Iraq; should I go too?

Originally posted by Oerdin
                        I was on the phone with an old army buddy of mine from my old reserve unit today and he told me the unit is going to be activated at the beginning of summer and sent to Iraq. Supposedly the fighting will be over by then and the active duty army will begin handing over some of the day to day stuff over to reserve units.

Now comes the big question. My friend (a SFC) asked me if I would like to go too; he said there was a shortage of experienced men in the unit and everyone would be glade to have me if I would reenlist and come along. I admit I was really flattered that a friend who was going into danger wants me to go with him, but I'm not sure. Technically, I'm still in the IRR so I could jump in right where I left off and keep my rank of SGT (maybe even get a promotion to E-6).

I'm torn though. I got out of the army because I didn't like all the BS but still there is the definite pull on the heartstrings when friends say to me they want me there if they're going into danger. Do any of you have any suggestions? What would you folks do?

Well, not to be TOO tough on you, but just listen to yourself!

You are an NCO, possibly obtaining the grade of Staff. And you need us to give you direction? Be for real.

At this point in time, you should be able to make a call such as this. For real, this is easy, easy do it or not, what is gonna happen when the $H!T hits the fan if we are engaged ina battle?

Please, dont go, i wouldnt want an NCO asking people what he should do, if its ok or how committed he should be.

Make a decision and stick to it!

Peace

Troll
                        Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

One question,

Will garrison duty in Iraq with friends make you happier than being a geologist?

That's all you've got to ask yourself...

Comment

Go. If you do not, you will forever wish you had.
                            http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

Originally posted by Demerzel
                              One question,

Will garrison duty in Iraq with friends make you happier than being a geologist?

That's all you've got to ask yourself...
                              Well, actually, you should ask yourself also if you are capable of handling supervision of troops and fulfillment of orders?

I mean, your happiness is one thing...BUT..so is the safety of your men,mission and those others down the line depending upon you.

Just some thoughts, you asked, so i am sharing some insights you may need to consider.

Peace

Troll

BTW, I got out 5 Feb 79 and would go back to defend the USA but not volunteer for a campaign that has no clear objectives.

If I was active, I would simply "DO" as ordered but as for re-upping, well, I would want it to be a clearly defined cause, if thats possible.

Troll
                              Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Working...
                              X