Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How crap is the UK at dealing with the weather?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How crap is the UK at dealing with the weather?

Answer: Shockingly bad.

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

It is absolutely amazing to me how bad they are. We had about 2" of snow which covers a thin layer of ice here in Cambridge. In this area people have been stuck up on highways for upto 15hrs Stansted (3rd major airport of England) has been closed all day.

Not even the major roads have been gritted/salted, and all the sidewalks are covered in ice. I reckon the lawsuits would be flying in the States. In Luxembourg people are responsible for their bit of sidewalk, but I think the county is responsible here.

Well it is thawing now, so it might get better.

You britts are a bunch of lily-hugging ****ers.

Comment

For a country that is as totally obsessed with the weather as we are it is indeed shameful how poorly equipped we always are for it.

We suck.
      If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

we really are rubbish.

I would say ist because there soft southerners but iknow we couldn't cope either.

I think we're falling apart
        Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
        Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

Re: How crap is the UK at dealing with the weather?

Originally posted by lightblue
          Answer: Shockingly bad.

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

It is absolutely amazing to me how bad they are. We had about 2" of snow which covers a thin layer of ice here in Cambridge. In this area people have been stuck up on highways for upto 15hrs Stansted (3rd major airport of England) has been closed all day.

Not even the major roads have been gritted/salted, and all the sidewalks are covered in ice. I reckon the lawsuits would be flying in the States. In Luxembourg people are responsible for their bit of sidewalk, but I think the county is responsible here.

Well it is thawing now, so it might get better.
          One quibble with yor comments. Stanstead is Londons 3rd airport not englands. There are bif cities other than London and Manchester is alot bigger than stanstead.

Not that it should have closed though.
          Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
          Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

Notice how the northerners managed to cope but get down south and they are all whimpering like little babies.
            www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Hehe, all the schools were closed here, and the shops were out of milk and bread because the lorries couldn't get through. I really don't know any country where this could happen

Comment

It's only because it happens so rarely.

It would cost more to have a massive gritting capacity than it does a few days of misery for southerners who don't understand the meaning of "only make important journeys".
                www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Originally posted by lightblue
                  Hehe, all the schools were closed here, and the shops were out of milk and bread because the lorries couldn't get through. I really don't know any country where this could happen
                  I'm sure there's a few in Africa.
                  "Paul Hanson, you should give Gibraltar back to the Spanish" - Paiktis, dramatically over-estimating my influence in diplomatic circles.

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.

Comment

Originally posted by Boddington's
                    It's only because it happens so rarely.

It would cost more to have a massive gritting capacity than it does a few days of misery for southerners who don't understand the meaning of "only make important journeys".
                    We have gritters, they had 3 days warning. I didn't see one gritter on the roads in the past few days and had to drive on compacted snow for no reason Luckily Hull didn't fall apart quite like the south east but still, the roads were treacherous (added about 10 minutes to my journey this morning).

It's not like snow is particularly rare either! We get some almost every bloody year, and we get ice, so don't tell me we don't have the capacity to cope. It is councils not getting of their arse and doing their job. I nearly broke half the bones in my body today walking on a public footpath and flying on the ice on a major thoroughfare. It should have been gritted
                    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Important journeys?
                      www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

thank god i live in california
                        "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                        'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Originally posted by MRT144
                          thank god i live in california

It was only supposed to get into the low seventies today, but it must have been warmer. I didn't have to put the top up on my convertible until the sun went down.

Comment

it was actually pretty chilly up here in SF but the sky was clear blue, not a cloud in the sky...such a lovely day
                            "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                            'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

I like days like that.
                              www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Working...
                              X