X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hope for the guys at apolyton

Birthday Billion for Onassis Heiress
    Jan 29, 12:43 PM EST

ATHENS, Greece (AP) -- A few signatures in a Swiss office and it will be over: half the Onassis shipping fortune will pass to the young heiress who is one of the last descendants of a tormented family.

Athina Roussel, who reaches the inheritance age of 18 Wednesday, takes on a difficult role along with her great wealth.

What will she do with the fortune, estimated at $700 million to $1 billion, that has made her one of the world's wealthiest teenagers?

Can the granddaughter of Aristotle Onassis, the "Golden Greek," end the bickering and bitterness that have marked her childhood and estranged her from her ancestral homeland?

The answers, it seems, will come only when she is ready to assume a more public profile. She rarely gives interviews and appears to cherish privacy as much as her grandfather thrived in the limelight.

The cliche "poor little rich girl" has fit her well. Her grandfather died brokenhearted two years after a 1973 plane crash killed his son Alexander. His other child, Christina, died in 1988, leaving her 3-year-old daughter, Athina, to be raised in Switzerland by her French-born father, Thierry Roussel, and his Swedish wife.

The fortune was divided two ways: Athina's inheritance from her mother, and the Alexander S. Onassis Public Benefit Foundation, named for the late son, which controls the shipping business and a vast charitable trust.

Roussel and the foundation have fought bitterly in the courts, trading charges of mismanagement, embezzlement and defamation.

Roussel even accused the foundation's Greek trustees of plotting to kidnap his daughter. Athina was not directly dragged into the fray. But, for many Greeks, she was conspicuous by her absence. Her visits to Greece have been brief and infrequent -- the last in 1999.

"I want to forget the name Onassis," she told the Italian magazine Oggi in 1998. "It's the cause of all the problems."

But it's also the source of her dazzling wealth that reportedly includes gold, art masterpieces, property in France, England, Switzerland and Argentina and the private Greek island retreat of Skorpios, where the family's "Pink Villa" was lavishly decorated by Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, the former American first lady and second wife of the shipping tycoon.

On her birthday, +Athina+ plans to meet with Swiss authorities and KPMG Fides auditors, who have overseen the estate since 1999. At that time, the inheritance "officially will be passed into her hands," said Alexis Mantheakis, the former Roussel family spokesman and author of a book on Athina. "It will be a bureaucratic thing, telling her what she has ... this will take a while to wind down."

Management of her estate shifted to the Swiss auditing firm after years of bickering between the foundation and Athina's father. He claimed the trustees squandered Athina's money and even plotted to kidnap her.

They denied the kidnap claim and a Swiss report said they managed the estate well. The trustees also accused Roussel of isolating Athina from her roots, complaining that she speaks little Greek and doesn't know her family's history.

But Mantheakis said she has taken Greek lessons and knows her family's background. Snippets of Athina's life have appeared in the tabloid press -- most notably her horse-riding and her reported romance with Alvaro de Miranda Neto, a Brazilian Olympic equestrian medalist who is 29 and has a child with his longtime companion.

The rumors of the relationship "haven't been denied by the family," said Mantheakis.

He said Athina, a brunette who resembles her late mother, is fun-loving in private but "very reserved, cautious of herself" in public. She is widely regarded as having had an ordinary upbringing, in-line skating from home to her school bus stop until the alleged kidnap plot brought in the bodyguards.

Her next dynastic milestone will be her 21st birthday when she could take the reins of the foundation that controls the other half of the Onassis empire, valued at about $1 billion.

That's not a certainty, however. The foundation's board has indicated it might oppose her taking over the organization's presidency. The current board head, Stelios Papadimitriou, declined comment.

Mantheakis, one of the few Onassis insiders who is willing to talk on the record, expects her to "slowly, slowly get involved with the management of her fortune," but not for several years.

Meanwhile, there's also a $2 million lawsuit filed by the Greek trustees claiming overtime pay for managing +Athina+'s money.

If it's any consolation for the heiress, the Greek public loves her and hopes to see her ride at next year's Olympic Games in Athens.

"She is an icon in Greece," said Mantheakis. "There is this perception of 'our girl.'"
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

don't you mean help for greeks? i don't even think she's ever been to america. how am i supposed to meet her?

Comment

Perhaps the Finns can take a crack.
      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

AFAIK she already has a boyfriend

A 29 year old show jumper.

But hey, I should go to switzerland and persuade her that he isn´t the right one
        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Oh, I'd say that she chose the wrong Brazilian.

*Alexnm starts screaming "me! me!"*
          I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

How big are her tits?
            Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
            Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
            "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
            From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

Originally posted by Lefty Scaevola
              How big are her tits?
              Who cares? She's filthy rich...

But I understand your concern.

Comment

she's an ugly duck

I think she is really tired of the Onassis legacy and wants to be normal.

But she can't 'cause she's so filthy rich.
                Richer than the Queen of England.

Comment

We can give her a severe case of amnesia and leave her wandering aimlessly in some non-descrepit city in Latin America. She'd never have to worry about the Onassis baggage again.

Gatekeeper
                  "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

yeah... but she's Greek.
                    Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                    "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Thank God she's not a lesbian english.

Comment

She can barely deal with the Onassis legacy but being english... she'd had killed herself the moment she'd became self conscious

Comment

which is rather stupid really (not killing herself for being english, but being "burdened" by the Onassis legacy.

Hermom might have died under suspicious circumstances, her uncle killed in a freak airplane accident and all that but she has grown up in a relatevly stable family and, ok she has ****loads of money. That's the only real problem.

Some group had planned to kidnap her (not the Onassis foundation doh ) but this was averted through intelligence services.

BTW a sidenote was that Aristotle Onassis had written in his will that she'd get the money only if she had learned to speak Greek!

Comment

is it a problem for her to have lots of money? I can solve this problem for her, if she wants to...

Comment

She seems to be the stereotype of the poor rich girl.
                              But as it is said: it is better to cry in a limousine than on the pavement

Comment

Working...
                              X