My computer is giving me more grief than I deserve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My computer is giving me more grief than I deserve

The other day, i decided to install Windows 2000 on my PC, to replace Windows Me, which I was starting to get a tad fed up of. I "borrowed" my a Windows 2000 CD off one of my housemates and began to install. Everything was fine until I rebooted it. Whilst it was booting up, it went to a blue screen (I was rather hoping I'd seen the last of these), complaining that it couldn't find a specific registry setting, or something like that. I proceeded to dump the disk to memory, or vice versa, and rebooted. And did the same thing again. The MS knowledge base tells me I have to reinstall Windows as something has been corrupted. Fair enough.

I figured that the way to sort this out was to put together the Windows 2000 startup disks. With the aid of the computer of another of my housemates (the same one I'm using right now, infact), I managed to do this. I booted from the first disk, putting each one in in turn. Eventually, it began to boot into Windows. Here we go, I thought.

Not a chance.

Now it's complaining of a "kernel error", or something similar (I forget what exactly, and I left the piece of paper I wrote it on in my room). It refuses to boot.

All I want to do is boot into DOS with CD-ROM support so I can reinstall Windows. How the hell can I do this?
    "Paul Hanson, you should give Gibraltar back to the Spanish" - Paiktis, dramatically over-estimating my influence in diplomatic circles.

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.

Pray?
    (+1)

Comment

Windows 2000 has been replaced by Windows XP. 2000 is 5.0, XP is 5.1...

Why can't you use the CD-Rom as a bootdisc? Doesn't Win2K support that?
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Awwww... *sympathy*
        Wish I had Win2000 though...Win95 is still just about creaking along on this system. My CD drive's dying on its feet, my scanner's already dead and my printer is coughing up ink.
        "Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
          Windows 2000 has been replaced by Windows XP. 2000 is 5.0, XP is 5.1...

Why can't you use the CD-Rom as a bootdisc? Doesn't Win2K support that?
          I think the chances of getting XP to run on a P166 are somewhat limited.

And as for the CD as a bootdisc: I've tried. Even when I set my BIOS try booting from the CD first, it still won't. Must be my intensely lame computer.

I've just had a thought: will a Windows 98 boot disk allow me to boot into a DOS prompt with CD-ROM drivers loaded? If so, I can get another of my housemates to do me one and try that.
          "Paul Hanson, you should give Gibraltar back to the Spanish" - Paiktis, dramatically over-estimating my influence in diplomatic circles.

Comment

sweat talk to the PC and repeatedly make the sign of the cross on it.

Comment

Yes, a Windows 98 bootdisc allows you to boot into DOS with CD-ROM support. I used to use it all the time for that.
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

will a Windows 98 boot disk allow me to boot into a DOS prompt with CD-ROM drivers loaded?
                Um, well this will work if it's an actual W98 out-of-the-box disc (ie, It Came From Redmond). I did this just a few weeks ago. Not sure if it's a do it yourself boot disc though.
                "When all else fails, a pigheaded refusal to look facts in the face will see us through." -- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay Melchett

Comment

Good. Next chance I get I'll ask him to sort that out for me.

Let's assume the worst (ie.; the likely) and say that doesn't work. What options do I have then?

Comment

Get any old dos/win95/win98 boot disk

Create Autoexec.bat file on the boot with

MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD001

Create config.sys file on the boot with

DEVICE=VIDE-CDD.SYS /D:MSCD001

Add two files to the boot disk, get of dos site

VIDE-CDD.SYS
                    MSCDEX.EXE

You now have a DOS boot disk

Comment

OK, my housemate with Win98 has gone around to a friend's house (either that or he's asleep, one of the two), so I can't create a startup disk that way. However, I've downloaded the necessary files off the net and bunged them onto a floppy, along with the extra stuff Ozz mentioned.

It still won't work. The floppy isn't bootable.

Is there something you do to a disk to make it bootable that I'm not aware of?

Comment

/edit: oh wait .... that's the wrong thing ... ignore me
                        If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

what makes you think you don't deserver that

Maybe you could reformat your hard drive and try with Win 98 or something. At least to get it running.

Comment

Just try this:

And don't change anything in it and you should have a DOS boot disk.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Hanson

I think the chances of getting XP to run on a P166 are somewhat limited.
                              You know, every 10 years or so, you really *ought* to upgrade the hardware...
                              Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
                              Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
                              Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
                              Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul

Comment

Working...
                              X