Why do so many Africans have AIDS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Buck Birdseed
    I don't think it's right to blame anyone (except those who know they carry the disease and indulge in unprotected sex anyway) for the spread of AIDS. It's a horrible scourge and everything in our power needs to be done to wipe it out, but ascertaining blame is hardly going to help the millions of people even now dying of this modern plague.
    So you place no blame on promiscuous males as long as they are unaware they carry the virus? Also, it seems rather silly not to blame anybody for the spread of AIDS when it is a disease that thrives on the irresponsible actions of individuals.
    ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
    ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

Originally posted by Buck Birdseed
      Gross oversimplification, chegitz, something you usually do not do.
      I was begining to get tired of the conversation.
      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

So we're to blame people who're too ignorant/stupid/culturally programmed to catch the disease, and thus spread it onwards? The vast majority of people who catch the disease have acted irresponsibly, should we just pack up, go home, let nature take care of them? Honestly.

And I can't help but detect your usual "AIDS is a punishment from GOD for our WANTON SIN" undertone, Cali. Loadsa sex is a good, socially beneficial thing, and your moral system is insane and outdated.
        Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
        Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

Buck, condoms are the way to go to prevent aids?
          Long time member @ Apolyton
          Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer
            Buck, condoms are the way to go to prevent aids?
            It's the best way, as shown by the masive decrease in HIV transmission rates among gays (the trend is beginning to reverse as more and more younger gays indulge in sexual Russian roulette ).
            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Dont forget the Monkey's spreading it especially their Meat..
              Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Comment

AIDS has probably been around for centuries, but while it was just the occasional Joe Schmoe in the jungle dying, who cared?

When the Kinshasa Highway opened, prostitution started thriving right the way along it. It was an STD super-highway and it brought HIV into more promiscuous cultures, where it spread like wildfire.
                The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Che, so my wife and I are faithful and don't engage in sex outside of marriage, and niether of us brought aids into the marriage. Should I still wear a rubber? If not, why not? (Indulge me)

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara

It's the best way, as shown by the masive decrease in HIV transmission rates among gays
                    Or you can just be unromantic and have your wife undergo tests before you have sex with her.

Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                    Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Laz, do you come down on the side of the monkey meat eaters or the monkey ****ers? How does aids get transmitted from monkeys to humans?

Comment

Che, so my wife and I are faithful and don't engage in sex outside of marriage, and niether of us brought aids into the marriage. Should I still wear a rubber? If not, why not? (Indulge me)
                        Since you're in the relationship and I'm not, I'm gonna trust your judgement. How long have you two been married and how many sexual partners did you have before marriage? You are aware that the virus can lie dormant for years before becoming a problem? If you can be 100% sure that neither you nor your wife were exposed in the last ten years, I see no reason why you should have to wear a condom.

Comment

One of the reasons South Africa has a huge H.I.V. epidemic? The apartheid government's policy of separating black African males from their families if they wished to find work- human nature being what it is, men will use the services of prostitutes, or have a 'second wife' and no, condoms won't always be used (do all the heterosexual Apolytoners always use condoms, or have they always used condoms since being sexually active? Didn't think so), and inevitably you will have a virus spread from workplace to home (hundreds of kilometres away).
                          If anyone thinks that not wearing a condom is specific or symptomatic of 'macho' African society, then I suggest you are simply unaware of the proclivities of males the world over- in Great Britain or the United States it is not uncommon to find prostitutes who will be willing to sell their services to men who are loathe to wear protection- they say the burden of protection is on the women.

People also seem to have ignored the breakdown of society in many sub-Saharan African societies too- Zaire, Angola, Mozambique, southern Sudan, Uganda, Namibia-
                          many of these countries were gripped by civil wars, ravaged by terrorist groups such as Renamo, Unita, or had racial/tribal conflicts as a legacy of colonialism. A health care infrastructure hardly existed, or if it did, rested with underfinanced under resourced missionaries. Hardly a recipe for a national effort at combatting H.I.V. transmission.
                          Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Che, she is a virtuous woman, a catholic, and I got tested beforehand, and abstained for quite a while before our marriage.

Anyway, thanks for the answer. It seams that the anti christian mindset has removed from the anti aids campaign a very good method that should be taught and tried first. If one can't wait then wear a rubber, don't eat or **** monkeys.

There, everything in a nutshell, wasn't so tough. Everyones method.

Comment

Originally posted by Caligastia

So no matter what, Africans are not to be blamed.
                              You obviously don't even care about the spread of the disease, just blaming "Africans". Some Africans deserve blame, but not most of them.

In South Africa, it is now known through the work of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission that the apartheid regime (at least) stockpiled HIV for possible weaponization. Additionally, clandestine delivery methods were developed including vaginal swabs distributed to blacks that left women more vulnerable to the disease.

Comment

Laz, do you come down on the side of the monkey meat eaters or the monkey ****ers? How does aids get transmitted from monkeys to humans?
                                Do you recall the recent avian flu outbreak in Hong Kong? Or further back, the Spanish Influenza epidemic post World War I ?

Clever things, viruses and bacteria- they can learn, evolve, and swap information. It wasn't necessary for anyone in Hong Kong to engage in intercourse with a chicken to contract the new strain of flu.
                                There is a good deal of evidence to show that many diseases afflicting humanity have resulted from humanity's close association with animals, bovine, ovine, equine- after all, elephants can get measles, an dno one seriously suggests that people have intercourse with elephants.

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Also- the epidemic of syphilis in the Renaissance seems to have been caused by a different, mutated strain of syphilis- different from the strain found in mediaeval Hull for instance.

Ultimately, the new form of syphilis was self-defeating- it's in the disease's best interest for its host to survive for a longer period of time in order to propagate the disease.
                                Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Working...
                                X