Why do so many Africans have AIDS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by obiwan18

But that is all sex provides...it does not produce the long-lasting bond that these people are craving. It may help in the short-run to deal with these feelings of loneliness, but not in the long run.
    You miss the point! Many of these people in Africa don't feel they have a future. They may be dead tomorrow by being in the crossfire of a civil war. Or they may soon waste away because they have no food to eat, or the money to buy any. Do you really expect people in those situations to hold off on having sex? Why should they worry about a disease that may kill them in seven years, when they may not even be alive tomorrow, or next month? Contracting AIDS is the least of their immediate problems.

Comment

• Originally posted by chegitz guevara
      Originally posted by molly bloom
      If people think they may die tomorrow, eros will triumph over thanatos.

As the wave of post-9/11 sex in NYC showed.
      What? your telling me that everyone in NYC experienced general increase in average rate of scores per night while mine remained just about the same?

That sucks. I missed out.

Originally posted by GePap
      This whole debate reminds me of the book Plagues and Peoples in which one of the arguments is that Sub-saharan Africa is the most inhospitable place for human development simply because, since Man evolved in that region, Nature has had a few extra millenia to come up with ways to keep us in check.

but I find it even more funny that it just might be true..
      :-p

Comment

• Originally posted by obiwan18
        Che,

Not if both are virgins.

WRONG! You can be born with STDs. Some you can pick up through casual contact (crabs) or no contact at all (crabs, mollusum contagiosum).

People are made to form long-term relationships.

That's not necessarily true.
        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

• This thread feels like health ed class now.
          :-p

Comment

• "Let's see some facts and figures to back up this piece of racist garbage from the sump you call a brain. And by facts and figures, I don't mean opinions you received from a toilet wall, or Gary Burchill, or a man in a pub."

Try buying the most recent edition of the The Economist.
            www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

• Africans, and Gays are spawns of Satan, as I understand it.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• Originally posted by molly bloom
                Caligastia- it is your opinion that promiscuity and immorality are somehow inextricably linked- I don't believe they are. Why is it immoral to have more than one sexual partner?
                I don't necessarily think it's immoral to have more than one sexual partner, so much as having multiple partners in a short space of time. You can have a committed, sexual relationship with more than one person in your life without being immoral.

Most heterosexual males I know have had more than one sexual partner- in most Western cultures for a male to have had multiple sexual partners is a 'good' thing, whereas of course, for a woman to have had multiple sexual partners puts her at risk of being called 'easy', or a 'bike' despite the likes of 'Sex and the City' portraying it as being 'different for girls' now.
                Well, that's an unfair double standard. I find men who have had multiple, non-committal sexual partners in a short space of time just as disgusting as women who have done the same.

I find it immoral that a church like the one I grew up in can condemn people like me for having a committed relationship with someone of the same sex for the past 19 years, and yet expect a relative of mine to live in a loveless marriage with a physically and sexually abusive husband because 'marriage is a sacrament'.
                I totally agree.

Still, A.I.D.S. is such a great excuse for people to get on their high horses and preach about morality, isn't it? Is everything in your life perfect? Would your morality pass muster?
                I must admit that my sexual activities have fallen short of my own moral standard in the past, but I've grown up a lot since then, and recognise that what I did was out of line.
                ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
                ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

• Originally posted by SlowwHand
                  Africans, and Gays are spawns of Satan, as I understand it.

Funny -- I thought that was the origin of white Southerners.
                  A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrFun

Thank God -- the world is crazy enough, as it is.
                    ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka

Comment

• Originally posted by Lancer
                      MrFun, that's been resolved. It was a British monkey ****ing, weight lifting, pygmy... iirc.
                      I don't think that such a combination is actually necessary. If chimpanzees are four times as strong as humans, that may rule out a deliberate human monkey-****er, but it doesn't mean that a sufficiently determined chimp couldn't ... well, you get the idea.

That said, I find the possibility of infection via bush meat much more likely, as well as less disturbing.

Comment

• I think it all started with this Scottish guy who decided to play with sheep.
                        A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

• Originally posted by SlowwHand
                          Africans, and Gays are spawns of Satan, as I understand it.

hi ,

huh

that is a bunch of crap

bye
                          - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                          - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                          WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

• Have a nice day.

Comment

• ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka

Comment

• Originally posted by Boddington's
                                "Let's see some facts and figures to back up this piece of racist garbage from the sump you call a brain. And by facts and figures, I don't mean opinions you received from a toilet wall, or Gary Burchill, or a man in a pub."

Try buying the most recent edition of the The Economist.
                                In addition to being unable to argue your point, you seem unable to read English- I didn't ask for a suggestion on possible future reading, I asked you to substantiate your allegations.

Golly. What a surprise. How did you ever struggle out of the birth canal unaided?
                                Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Working...
                                X