Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

US -the worlds hegemon - you have to be kidding right?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US -the worlds hegemon - you have to be kidding right?

No not about Iraq, but about prosecuting citizens of other countries for copyright infringments (as if they cannot do it themselves).

UNITED States trade negotiators are pushing for Australia to sign up to a tough new copyright regime that could hold internet service providers liable for breaches.

The first round of talks in an Australia-US Free Trade Agreement will commence in Australia in March, and the internet industry is flagging that ISP liability for copyright material is "on the table" as far as the US side is concerned.
    US Trade Representative Robert Zoellick has raised the issue in a letter to Congress ahead of the talks.

A free trade agreement would probably involve the two nations "harmonising" key legislation on commerce. This could include bringing the Australian Copyright Act into line with US law.

Australia's law differs substantially from the US Digital Millennium Copyright Act, which holds ISPs liable for the transmission of copyright material unless they sign up to a content management agreement that requires them to remove material judged to be in breach of copyright law.

ADVERTISEMENT

"The US would like to influence our legislation in a way similar to theirs," Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade regional and free trade agreement section director John Richardson said.

The US was also likely to seek stronger protection against software piracy, he said. "In copyright they believe we don't have strong enough criminal penalties, as opposed to civil penalties."

Australian ISPs have said heavy lobbying from the entertainment industry is behind the US stance.

"The US side is heavily influenced by music and motion picture industry interests, which in the US have been very aggressive in the way they have pursued ISPs," Internet Industry Association chief executive Peter Coroneos said.

"The US has definitely put ISP liability on the agenda, and we're developing a position on that."

The controversial DMCA was passed by Congress in 1998, and has been widely attacked for not providing enough protection to users.

While 1998 amendments to Australia's Copyright Act protect ISPs from legal action when they act as conduits for copyright material, the US law provides that so-called "safe harbour" only when they sign up for a regime of takedown notices.

Like Australia's internet censorship regime, the US takedown system requires ISPs to deliver notices to alleged violators and to block access to copyright material.

Copyright owners may also ask for the identity of the subscriber, but many ISPs have fought such orders.

Just last week, the US District Court ordered ISP and telco Verizon to give up the name of a subscriber alleged to have downloaded 600 songs via Kazaa in a single day.

Mr Coroneos said the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade had approached the IIA for input on the copyright issue.

Unlike many other interests - including the Australian Wheat Board, which is opposing US attempts to dismantle the single desk system for exports - the internet industry could join the agreement quickly.

The IIA has been working on a code of practice with the Australian Recording Industry Associations for some months.

OMG

I hope Vanuatu will resist when noone else will

A free trade agreement would probably involve the two nations "harmonising" key legislation on commerce. This could include bringing the Australian Copyright Act into line with US law.

Australia's law differs substantially from the US Digital Millennium Copyright Act, which holds ISPs liable for the transmission of copyright material unless they sign up to a content management agreement that requires them to remove material judged to be in breach of copyright law.

"The US would like to influence our legislation in a way similar to theirs," Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade regional and free trade agreement section director John Richardson said.

Does everyone have to be like US? Come on Aussies don't be pushed around

and check this out you people in the land of the free

Just last week, the US District Court ordered ISP and telco Verizon to give up the name of a subscriber alleged to have downloaded 600 songs via Kazaa in a single day.

you coud get prosecuted for using Kazaa soon, peharp this will be the new "war on copyrightbreakers"

-------

Really does the world need the influence of bribed US lawmakers to accept the laws that deep pockets of industry CEO's created, (if they already failed to bribe the local politicians )?
    Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
    GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Verizon (which is my ISP) is fighting the court decision tooth and nail -- this isn't over.
    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk
      Verizon (which is my ISP) is fighting the court decision tooth and nail -- this isn't over.
      I sure hope this is not over and win Verizone win (insert cheerleader smiley here )
      Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
      GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

There are 2 sides to this story - an Australian court recently found in a defamation action that defamation cases could be heard in Australia regardless of where material was published, i.e. on the net.
        Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

OK... I always knew that Aussies had that hidden desire for world domination, but sorry guys US it the boss

---

no... so did the guy in the other country get prosecuted? Or will he get prosecuted if he ever enters Australia? Did you put an econmic embargo on the poor country that is shielding this internet criminal

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse
            There are 2 sides to this story - an Australian court recently found in a defamation action that defamation cases could be heard in Australia regardless of where material was published, i.e. on the net.
            But what good will it do when the other side isn't in Australia? Will you fart in his general direction collectively?
            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

The aim is more to prosecute Australians who publish OS, like on the net using a US site, to escape Australian defamation laws.
              Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Comment

Same with the US - although I think RIAA is way overboard, and DMCA excessive, there is a real problem with the potential for bananaland ISP's to become highly paid portals of choice for even more theft of intellectual property, harassment, defamation, etc. than the internet already has.
                When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

They play hardball those people - audio visual and music are the US's second largest export.

Comment

Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat
                    Same with the US - although I think RIAA is way overboard, and DMCA excessive, there is a real problem with the potential for bananaland ISP's to become highly paid portals of choice for even more theft of intellectual property, harassment, defamation, etc. than the internet already has.
                    I have always hold that the so called intellectual property is too big a group to be put in one basket. Whether downloading a song one doesn't own constitutes theft remains to be seen.
                    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

They are really swimming against the tide, they'll never put a lid on it.

Comment

Why the anger about the opening post? The US is pushing an agreement... and what is wrong with that? If Australia was pushing a trade agreement would that get you as steamed?
                        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Its just a negotiating position. Just because they say they want it doesn't mean they are going to get it.

Comment

Typical US tactic.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                              Typical US tactic.
                              What, determining your goals and then failing to achieve them?
                              He's got the Midas touch.
                              But he touched it too much!
                              Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Working...
                              X