Should I christin(Baptise) my kid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I christin(Baptise) my kid

My little boy Joseph was born on 4th Jan and i don't know whether to have him christianed(I should learn to spell it first).

I'm pretty much an agnostic but my Mother and Wife want it.

I can't see teh point and think its a little bit hypocritical, or should I just shut uo and have it done.
    Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
    Douglas Adams (Influential author)

His birthday's the day before mine!

I dunno, my cousin had a naming day for his kid, not a religious thing but still got the family and friends together for a social occasion to meet the baby etc.
    Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
    Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
    We've got both kinds

Comment

I'd say just have it done, though it means nothing. Baptism without faith is a bath.

Comment

Well, I personally wouldn't - don't see the point - but if your wife wants to why not? Holy water won't hurt him...

...will it?
        "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
        You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Originally posted by orange
          Well, I personally wouldn't - don't see the point - but if your wife wants to why not? Holy water won't hurt him...

...will it?
          Well i did notice 3 numbers on his head......
          Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.

Comment

What's the procedure for getting a kid baptized nowadays?

Do the parents need to declare that they believe in God, or attend church for a while?

And they're supposed to select "godparents" who are (at least theoretically) responsible for ensuring that the kid grows up to be a "good Christian". Do the godparents have to swear that they believe in God? And if they do, but they know that the kid isn't going to be raised as a Christian: is it OK if they knowingly lie about their committment to that?

Normally I'd have no objections to "going through the motions" at a Christian ceremony. But baptism involves such blatant lying and hypocrisy that I think I'd have problems with it.

It's not like a wedding or a funeral, where the purpose of the ceremony isn't specifically religious. This one consists entirely of ritual lying while making false promises to indoctrinate a child into a religion that he is currently not capable of choosing voluntarily.

Quite a few Christians don't approve of it.

Comment

This is the problem, I hate the lying and hypocrisy.

I dislike the church alot (C of E) in this case but the catholics and all the other protestant ones are just as bad. Standing up and saying will instruct him in the ways of the church and GOD is a blatant lie as i will bore him stupid telling him how much crap teh church talks.

I only know 1 potential religious Godparent (the rest wouldn't know their new testamnet from their old.) ans she's catholic so that might be a problem.

Comment

This one consists entirely of ritual lying while making false promises to indoctrinate a child into a religion that he is currently not capable of choosing voluntarily.

Here at least, Baptism tends more to be saying that you are there for guidance on the Christian faith. And regards the voluntary status of it, thats what Confirmation is about.
                One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

My parents never baptized me, saying they wanted me to choose for myself. This is off course very wrong, since I won't do it unless I have to and will burn in the flames of hell as a sinner...
                  får jag köpa din syster? tre kameler för din syster!

Comment

It's only hypocritiical if yo have yourself baptized.
                    Since it obviously isn't that big a deal to you, why not make the wife happy, for a change ?
                    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                      It's only hypocritiical if yo have yourself baptized.
                      Since it obviously isn't that big a deal to you, why not make the wife happy, for a change ?
                      As she is married to me how could she be more happier

Comment

Ok, your mother.
                        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                          Ok, your mother.
                          My Mother would blame the chicken if i was caught molesting one

Comment

Originally posted by TheStinger

Well i did notice 3 numbers on his head......
                            Mmmm, take photos of your family, friends, neighbours and yourself. If you see some strange light effects that increase on time better change your legacy legal note
                            Signature: Optional signature you may use to appear at bottom of your posts

Comment

In the Mormon Church, we wait until the kids 8 till we have them baptise the kid.
                              Former President, Vice-president and Foreign Minister of the Apolyton Civ2-Democracy Games as 123john321

Comment

Working...
                              X