Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Funerals - what do agnostics/atheists do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Starchild
    Sometimes we atheists have deep, meaningful funerals that remember the person's life and their impact on the people who they loved.

Sometimes we leave the body near the side of the road until garbage collection day.
    Arnold Via, of Virginia, used to tow atheist corpses behind a tractor for disposal. I've requested cremation, but if I could be sure I would be buried unprotected under a newly-planted tree, I would go for that. Trees are good.
    Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
    Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
    Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
    Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul

Comment

That would probably be illegal, cavebear. My first choice would be to be burryied in a pine box under a peach pit. Laws in the US, however, are rather specifc in the methods for disposing of human remains. It may even be the case that in your locality or state that you must be embalmed if you are not cremated. Thank the morticians lobby for that.
      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by Jack the Bodiless
        Like most atheists, I don't really care. Most of us seem to have predominantly religious relatives who insist on giving us religious funerals.

Tempers might rise if the priest uses the funeral as an opportunity to preach about God rather than simply paying his respects to the dead. A certain amount of this is bound to happen, but if it becomes excessive: well, I'd like to think that one of my friends would step forward and punch the priest on the nose.

This actually happened recently. The priest stated that the dead person was going to Hell, and was immediately assaulted by the mourners.
        Hmm, that sounds like a way to get one last shot at the theists. Maybe I'll design my funeral to set up some poor unsuspecting priest and have the mourners paid to attack him as soon as he mentions religious nonsense.

Ooh, I could have a casket built to raise the lid as soon as the first shovel of dirt hits the top...
        Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
        Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
        Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
        Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul

Comment

Originally posted by Jack the Bodiless
          Like most atheists, I don't really care. Most of us seem to have predominantly religious relatives who insist on giving us religious funerals.
          I predict a creationist sermon in your future
          Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Working...
          X