No announcement yet.

Confession: I'm a LotR virgin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seen the movies, haven't read the books other than Hobbit.

Comment

I've never even seen the books, but the movies were wicked good!
      "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
      ^ The Poly equivalent of:
      "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

the books are great, the fellowship is a little slow fro some to began with though

if you would think it helps, skip some of the elrond and party stuff the first time through ( I would never do this though)

Jon Miller
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN
        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Same here. I have never been one for reading literature...but I did enjoy the films
          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Re: Confession: I'm a LotR virgin

Originally posted by Alinestra Covelia
            Here's a shocking revelation. I haven't read LotR, or seen it in the theaters.

I am currently on my fifth attempt at reading The Lord of the Rings. In fact, LotR was the last thing I bought when I left Britain - I got a nice big fat book and decided to read it at last.
            Just get past the first book and the rest is all good. Tolkien was a master of the slow start and the great finish.

As much as I love the story now, it was hard getting past the beginninjg.
            Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
            Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
            Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
            Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul

Comment

Confession: I'm a LotR slut

I can't even remember how many different times I have read it and where.
              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

to grok

Hey DanS, I did't know you were a Martian?

About LOTR, it's like the Bible, just skip the boring parts and you are left with one heck of a great story...
                Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
                And notifying the next of kin
                Once again...

Comment

Yup, just give it a try, it is worth it.
                  Especially "The two Towers" and "The return of the King" involve a lot of great battles.

And the first book is really getting to be interesting, when you get to the part where the Fellowship enters Khazad Dûm (Moria).

I loved the part when Gandalf read from the Chronicles with the last Days of Balins Folk which they found at Balins Tomb in Khazad Dûm.

Drums, Drums in the Deep.
                  They are coming
                  Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                  Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

try skipping ALL the poetry

Comment

Oh, yeah, when I read it myself, I skipped the poetry too. At the start I looked through some parts that seemed important, but then decided for the better and let them all be.
                      Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

Here's a shocking revelation. I haven't read LotR, or seen it in the theaters.
                        Same here. I can't be arsed, the genre doesn't really interest me, and I wasn't planning on either reading the books (or any other book by Tolkien) or watching the movie.

...until yesterday: yesterday, a guy at my work gave me the SVCDs of LotR2. [He burnt them for someone else, but that person already left, so he gave them to me.]

And now I am in dubio about whether or not I should watch it.

Comment

Well, I think I might wait until all three films have been released, then go watch them.

I haven't got the time to read the books yet, but I think a condensed 9-hour film trilogy should be manageable.

So, probably something to get around to late next year then.
                          "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                            You might also try skipping Bombadil and the Barrow Wights. Chapters 6-8.
                            Bombadil is the best part of the trilogy.

Comment

I am adamant that I will not watch the LotR films until I have read the book. This may very well mean never.
                              You shouldn't take that attitude! In many ways the film version is an experience of it's own. Consider that they've condensed a book that will take you many hours to read into about a three time slot. Something has to get lost, so right away there will be a difference between the two.

Enjoy the movie for what it is, and if you ever get the patience, you can still enjoy reading the passages they had to leave out, and the enhanced details that Tolkien included in his work.

Comment

Originally posted by Felch X
                                I saw the topic, I saw the starter, and I waited for some perv to make a joke like UR did.
                                What do you know? I left a blank and a couple of people rushed in to fill it with overactive imagination.
                                (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                                (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
                                X