Are US soldiers paid too little?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are US soldiers paid too little?

I have read on a Croatian site that privates in US are paid only 1300 USD per month. Now that being a Croatian site obviously makes me think if that is correct as the subsequent 26000 USD/ year seem low to me for a professionals who are expected to risk their life at work .

Is this true? That the pay is so low, and if that is so, what about the benefits, do they make up for the difference or not really?

Anyway if true this is kind of suprising to me that a country with by far highest expenditure on military in the world has its soldiers on a below average pay (at least I do not think that 26000 USD is average), but I might be wrong on that. Anyway seems kind of low for a soldier.

Assuming for a civilian a 37.5 hrs job (162.5 hr/month) that would be 8$/hour is that the price for life?

Do they get paid more if they go to war?
    Yes
    50.00%
    No
    25.00%
    It is not good but it was even worse before (gray option)
    14.29%
    They should be happy even if free bananas was all they get
    10.71%
    Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
    GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

GROSSLY underpaid.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
      GROSSLY underpaid.
      so is $1300/month true?
      Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
      GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

that's underpaid? you haven't seen the conscript's paycheck: 315 NIS (70 USD), 10 Euros....
        urgh.NSFW

Comment

I'm not familiar with current pay, but you can stand assured that they aren't getting rich digging a ditch.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Originally posted by Azazel
            that's underpaid? you haven't seen the conscript's paycheck: 315 NIS (70 USD), 10 Euros....
            SO what is 315NIS for a month? Can he live of that? Still he is a conscript, so I guess when he finishes his duty a job will be waiting for him to continue. (I hope there is some gov, support for a possible family). But in US they are all professionals, that is the only thing they do.

Comment

We wouldn't want to pay them too much, lest middle-class folks find the military an appealing option and go gettin' themselves killed in wars. Only the poor folks are supposed to get themselves killed, after all.
              Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Shut up, Boris.

Comment

We wouldn't want to pay them too much, lest middle-class folks find the military an appealing option and go gettin' themselves killed in wars. Only the poor folks are supposed to get themselves killed, after all.

Oh god. Rangel's an idiot, Boris, and you're making yourself look like one by reapeating his stupid rhetoric...
                  KH FOR OWNER!
                  ASHER FOR CEO!!
                  GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

You shut up, Sloww. Nyah-nyah-nyah-boo-boo.
                    Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

OFITG: they cannot, but they are given food and clothing by the army. there are also some benefits to people that are released from the army. not enough though.
                      urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten

Oh god. Rangel's an idiot, Boris, and you're making yourself look like one by reapeating his stupid rhetoric...
                        What about your lack of recognizing irony? How's that make you look?
                        Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Those rates are grossly overinflated.

The US soldier is paid under $1100 a month. They work 5:45 am to 6:00 pm in peacetime and are on call 24/7. That's 60 hours a week at best.

They do get hazard pay if they are in a warzone, I think it is $150 a month.

If a US soldier is married and has a kid they are well below poverty level and qualify for virtually EVERY welfare program in existence.

During the holidays the higher ranking soldiers and those with multiple incomes donate money to help the soldiers with families buy presents and food for their families.

Its kinda of sad that the US pays the citizens who are volunteering to give their lives up to defend the country $1064 a month and the self interested congressmen who embezzle it blind get over $200,000 a year to set on their buts.
                          Last edited by GhengisFarbâ„¢; January 24, 2003, 14:05.

Comment

What about your lack of recognizing irony? How's that make you look?

How exactly was your statement ironic? I think you've been listening to a little too much Alanis...
                            KH FOR OWNER!
                            ASHER FOR CEO!!
                            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Well can XYZ billion military budget add a few billion on for them. I guess that from 1million US soldiers more than a half fall in that non-officer rank.

Lets say there are 500000 of them at that rate - they cost ~ 13BN a year. What was the budget for the year - nearly 400bn with the latest increases proposed for 2003

here http://www.cdi.org/issues/budget/FY03Highlights-pr.cfm

anyway that leaves the pay for the low ranking soldiers to be just 3-4% of the budget.

look at this quote
                              It is also 15 percent above the Cold War average, to fund a force structure that is one-third smaller than it was a decade ago.

Well they could have found another 15bn to increase the pay for 50% (7 for privates and the rest should surely go to officer pockets) I bet that wouldn't hurt the morale.

Comment

Working...
                              X