Good Programs, And/Or Good Programs For Computers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Programs, And/Or Good Programs For Computers

I saw a thread discussing Ad-Aware, and the suggestion was to not use, but rather to use Spybot.

What are some other bad and/or good programs?

imesh, a file exchange program, is one of the most spy-ridden programs I've seen yet; somewhat related,
    AVG, a free virus detection program, seems very good.

What are some others you would recommend, or condemn?
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Proxomitron
    <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

KolQl8or - A handy little calculator.
      <Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
      Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!

Comment

For Windows, ACDSee classic (image viewer) and Mozilla.

Linux/FreeBSD/OpenBSD for everybody.
        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Umm, despite the thread title, are these "Good" programs, or "Bad" ?
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Much easier to recommend good ones - a lot less to type.
            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

I agree, but I'd like to know the bad ones in advance.

The thing is, at downloads.com, if one reads the description on imesh, they tell you it's full of Spyware.
              If you go to the imesh site instead, you're on your own.

Comment

Good: PGP, PGPi or GPG - free public key encryption program for personal use.

Comment

Originally posted by loinburger
                  Proxomitron
                  I use that too. So much for 'Poly's ads

Comment

It's better than PopUp Stopper? How?

Comment

I don't know if it's better than PopUp Stopper. I've never tried PopUp Stopper, but it does work very well. I've never seen a popup ad on Apolyton, and it also blocks the banner ads on the top of the page.

Comment

Mozilla is great. You can disable pop-up ads with it. Plus it's a good web browser

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                          It's better than PopUp Stopper? How?
                          More powerful. You can do things like block embedded MIDI files, banner ads, redirects, etc.
                          <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

For Windows, Editpad is a great replacement for wordpad and notepad.

EditPad Lite: A fine text editor with all the necessary basic features. Free for non-commercial use. An ideal replacement for Notepad.
                            "We are living in the future, I'll tell you how I know, I read it in the paper, Fifteen years ago" - John Prine

Comment

Good - Winamp 2.8: A brilliant little program that plays music files. Does it's own little job and nothing else.

Bad - Winamp 3: A nasty, bloated piece of software that tries to be a replacement for Windows Media Player, at which it fails spectacularly. Crashes on all my computers.
                              "Paul Hanson, you should give Gibraltar back to the Spanish" - Paiktis, dramatically over-estimating my influence in diplomatic circles.

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.

Comment

Working...
                              X