Castro Practicing Capitalism?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Castro Practicing Capitalism?

In an interview, Castro said a woman, a former teacher of Marxism, makes twice her former salary working in Cuba's biotech industry. He said she even makes more than Cuba's agricultural minister because she's more productive. Isn't people making varying incomes based on productive capacity a capitalist notion?

Yep. It sure is.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Does a bear **** in the woods? Is the Pope Catholic? Are you tenditious?

Comment

Sorry Beserk. Nowhere in the annals of Marxist literature will you find any of the great thinkers advocating strict equality of condition. You simply subscribe to a fairly common misinterpretation. Don't worry about it though, no biggie.
        http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by monkspider
          Sorry Beserk. Nowhere in the annals of Marxist literature will you find any of the great thinkers advocating strict equality of condition. You simply subscribe to a fairly common misinterpretation. Don't worry about it though, no biggie.
          No where and everywhere monkspider. It's so obvious it need not be stated.

Unfortunately, Communism can't exist beside Capitalism. The Cubans have no other choice.
          "When you ride alone, you ride with Bin Ladin"-Bill Maher
          "All capital is dripping with blood."-Karl Marx
          "Of course, my response to your Marx quote is 'So?'"-Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Originally posted by DuncanK
            No where and everywhere monkspider. It's so obvious it need not be stated.
            Unfortunately, Communism can't exist beside Capitalism. The Cubans have no other choice.
            Communism is about a more equal distribution of wealth in society, yes, but by no means is it a strict equality that ignores things like hard work and productive capacity. Obviously someone who studies to be a doctor is going to be making more than, say, a janitor. This is mere common sense. Marx didn't study the capitalist mode of production for as long as he did to be caught up on such a silly notion.
            Therefore, the notion that Castro is secretly advocating capitalism by paying a hard working professor more than the average farmhand can be dismissed in few words. But again, obviously this basic misinterpretation deeply permeates American society, so it's understandable why so many people still believe it.

Comment

Communism is about a more equal distribution of wealth in society, yes, but by no means is it a strict equality that ignores things like hard work and productive capacity. Obviously someone who studies to be a doctor is going to be making more than, say, a janitor. This is mere common sense. Marx didn't study the capitalist mode of production for as long as he did to be caught up on such a silly notion.
              Therefore, the notion that Castro is secretly advocating capitalism by paying a hard working professor more than the average farmhand can be dismissed in few words. But again, obviously this basic misinterpretation deeply permeates American society, so it's understandable why so many people still believe it.
              Doctors should be paid more than janitors because it is a stressfull job. The reason Doctors are paid sooooo much more in this country is so that they will stay and work in this country. Castro raises wages in Cuba for the same reason. He is not advocating Capitalism by doing so.

To think that certain professions within a Communist system should be paid more is not Communism at all, but fascism.

Comment

Originally posted by DuncanK
                Doctors should be paid more than janitors because it is a stressfull job.
                Absolutely. Again, we commies don't miss out on little nuggets of common sense like this, believe it or not.
                The reason Doctors are paid sooooo much more in this country is so that they will stay and work in this country. Castro raises wages in Cuba for the same reason. He is not advocating Capitalism by doing so.
                I see no major disagreement here either.

To think that certain professions within a Communist system should be paid more is not Communism at all, but fascism.
                Okay, now you lost me Dunc.

Comment

I'm a little rusty on my recent history. Why was Castro such a bad guy again?

Comment

Castro is actually a pretty good guy, he freed the people of Cuba from a corrupt dictator, greatly improved the living standards of Cubans, built one of the top health care systems in the world out of virtually nothing, built hundreds of new housing developments, schools, hospitals, universities, and so on, led Cuba to have the highest living standards of any third world country, and he gives some of the greatest speeches of any leader ever.

Pretty much the only thing you can hold against Castro is that he doesn't hold elections too often, but hey, let's cut the guy a little slack.

Comment

Monkspider,

Sorry I made errors on that one. I meant to say that you could not have a true Communist system and have such wide disparities in income as exsists within the world of nations today. That would be Fascism.

Comment

Monk: I've heard you and Tassadar speak of a socio/political system but i never understood it. please explain how communism would work with income disparity.
                        "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                        - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Castro is actually a pretty good guy, he freed the people of Cuba from a corrupt dictator, greatly improved the living standards of Cubans, built one of the top health care systems in the world out of virtually nothing, built hundreds of new housing developments, schools, hospitals, universities, and so on, led Cuba to have the highest living standards of any third world country, and he gives some of the greatest speeches of any leader ever.

Pretty much the only thing you can hold against Castro is that he doesn't hold elections too often, but hey, let's cut the guy a little slack.
                          Cuba actually has pretty abysmal standards of living, although the Castro government has had excellent accomplishments in health care and basic education and literacy.
                          When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

In an interview, Castro said a woman, a former teacher of Marxism, makes twice her former salary working in Cuba's biotech industry. He said she even makes more than Cuba's agricultural minister because she's more productive
                            urgh.NSFW

Comment

I think we can conclude Cuba is the best place to live.

Don't tell people in Florida that though

Comment

Working...
                              X