Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cloned cat

link

COLLEGE STATION (Texas) - Rainbow the cat is a typical calico with splotches of brown, tan and gold on white. Her clone, cc (for carbon copy), has a striped grey coat over white.
    They have an identical DNA code, but different coat markings distinguish the original Rainbow (left) and her clone cc as their bodies use the same genes differently. -- AP

Rainbow is reserved while cc is curious and playful. Rainbow is chunky; cc is sleek.

The Humane Society might be inclined to say: I told you so. But then, so would cc's creators at Texas A&M University.

Sure, you can clone your favourite cat. But the copy will not necessarily act or even look like the original.
    Interesting. Where did the variation come from?

Correction of the article - the kitty is called Copycat, not Carbon Copy.
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Probably due to genetic damage in transfer of nucleus, and in environmental factors (mainly in utero?)
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

IIRC, fur markings are like fingerprints; not predetermined by genetics, but instead due to a stochastic growth process. The general pattern is probably similar, but the exact pattern would be different each time you ran the cat through the mill...
      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Killing it is the new killing it
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Yes it is like fingerprints. It is determined by which cell goes where at the very early stages, and is determined by outside factors.

I wonder if you implanted a clone of Carbon Copy back into the same cat that beared CC you would get the same pattern tho..

Comment

Cool

Learn something new everyday. It's interesting too how fingerprint becomes fixed after birth. Somehow the outside influences became "etched" into person.
          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Learn something new everyday.

Indeed.
            I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

And aren't they cute!
              Attached Files
              I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

they're adorable.

all things posted are very correct. it seems that the shapes and the locations of the spots are not genetic, much like the retinae, and fingerprints.
                urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                  Learn something new everyday.
                  Good thing I'm not the only intellectual here -- things were starting to get lonely at the latte bar, and this damned beret itches something fierce.
                  <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

They now believe there was a fly in the transfer chamber...
                    Long time member @ Apolyton
                    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Copycat thread.

Comment

Three in a row, all funny!

Comment

Haven't we seen this before? I remember there being a picture of the kitten in the mug.

Anyway, temperature often plays the most significant role in determining the color patterning on many furred animals.
                          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Here's the original picture that everyone went crazy over:

With calicos you get a different pattern every time.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew1999

With calicos you get a different pattern every time.
                              Make for good betting games.
                              “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Working...
                              X