Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Go see Ying xiong (HERO) when it comes out!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Go see Ying xiong (HERO) when it comes out!

In the same cinematic vein as 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon', this movie rocks!!!

I saw it just the other day and I'd say I prefer it to CTHD, some might say it's a bit of a Chinese propaganda movie, but personally I enjoyed it immensely!

Directed by Zhang Yimou, it is cinematographically jaw-dropping and stars the likes of Jet Li and Donnie Yen for solid martial arts action, with a return of Zhang Ziyi, as well as Maggie Cheung, who makes up the fourth of the starring quartet...

Mark my words - this film will be BIG!
    Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Ah, this is a very silly movie. Where would you find assassins dressed in outfits of one single colour and prancing around in the wilderness? Sheesh. Did they want huge neon signs floating above their heads too?
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Is this the one where Jet Li jumps up and uses his legs to stay up in air by wedging them between two walls because electric current is flowing on the water?

I forgot which one it was, but the title "Hero" sounds awefully familiar. Most of the movies relased in the states are late by a decade or so anyway.

CTHD wasnt a good kung fu flick at all IMO. I was having this talk w/ a friend today actually, whos obsessed with it.

CTHD just happened to balance few things rather nicely.

-It had okay fighting scene
      -Okay plot
      -Good cast that US audience could recognize (but in chinese audience horrible, Chow yun fat.. martial artist?)
      -was "innovative and artistically done" (but a norm for chinese audience to see people flying like that )

Conclusion? success in the states, but that doesnt mean anything really....
      Last edited by Zero; January 20, 2003, 22:56.
      :-p

Comment

Hero is a relatively new movie. Just came out over here a while ago.
        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

No just checked it. It was released in 1990. And I remember having seen it. The one i confused it with was black mask or something mask....

The only new 'martial arts' movie ur ever gonna get is rush hour series. In the states, the release is always gonna be 5-6 years slower. I remember lending my bootleg copy of Mr. Nice Guy to my friend because I thought it was rumble in the bronx or something... He claimed he never saw a movie like that by Jackie chan and whadda ya know, it was released 6 months after... I should have charged him 9 bucks for sneak preview...

As you can see, I have trouble with chinese movie titles cause i watch em before they determine US name title. Tho in case of 'Hero', its a literal translation of chinese title, so i can instantly recognize i have seen it
          Last edited by Zero; January 20, 2003, 23:03.
          :-p

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
            Ah, this is a very silly movie. Where would you find assassins dressed in outfits of one single colour and prancing around in the wilderness? Sheesh. Did they want huge neon signs floating above their heads too?
            But that's the point, it's a very stylised movie - not much is actually realistic, just like CTHD. It's only when you suspend your disbelief that you can actually enjoy these kinds of movies. After all, you have to remember that in the film just two of these assassins are *MORE* (scrambles to avoid spoiler!) than a match for the kings men - as well as all the flying and walking on water stuff...

I you loved CTHD, you'll love this - nuff said.

Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Originally posted by Calc II
              No just checked it. It was released in 1990. And I remember having seen it. The one i confused it with was black mask or something mask....
              That's not possible. It is a new release.

Hero, a Chinese language film, was shot entirely in Asia from the summer of 2001 until the beginning of 2002.
              link

Comment

Shaolin soccer...thats the only surreal chinese movie worth seeing.
                "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Originally posted by MRT144
                  Shaolin soccer...thats the only surreal chinese movie worth seeing.
                  *vomit*

Comment

Anyone who doesnt appreciate Shaolin soccer obviously has no merit in any discussion ever.
                    'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Is that the best you can offer?

Comment

you dont deserve better

Comment

Lightweight.

Comment

Troll

Comment

Working...
                            X