• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last Recognized Widow of a Union Veteran in Civil War Dies at 93

Last Recognized Widow of a Union Veteran in Civil War Dies at 93
    By Duncan Mansfield Associated Press Writer
    Published: Jan 19, 2003

BLAINE, Tenn. (AP) - Gertrude Janeway, the last widow of a Union veteran from the Civil War, has died in the three-room log cabin where she lived most of her life. She was 93.
    Bedridden for years, she died Friday, more than six decades after the passing of the man she called the love of her life, John Janeway, who married her when he was 81 and she was barely 18.

"She was a special person," said the Rev. Leonard Goins, who officiated at her funeral Sunday.

"Gertie, as she was called, had a vision beyond that (cabin) that kept her going. She never had any wavering or doubt in her salvation. She was strong in that," he said.

She was to be buried Monday near her husband's slender military tombstone at tiny New Corinth Church cemetery.

An honorary member of the Daughters of Union Veterans of the Civil War, Mrs. Janeway was the last recognized Union widow. She received a $70 check each month from the Veterans Administration.

Still alive is Confederate widow Alberta Martin, 95, of Elba, Ala.

Mrs. Janeway, who lived her whole life in Blaine, about 30 miles north of Knoxville, was born 44 years after the Civil War ended.

In a 1998 interview, she said her husband rarely spoke about the war.

"He says the nighest he ever got to gettin' killed was when they shot a hole through his hat brim," she said, but he never told her where that happened.

Her husband was a 19-year-old Grainger County farm boy who ran away to enlist in 1864 after being encouraged by a group of Union horse soldiers that he met on his way to a Blount County grist mill.

He sent his horse home and signed up under the surname January because "he was afraid his people would come and claim him," Mrs. Janeway said.

Two months later, he was captured by Confederates near Athens, Ga. He was later released and rejoined his unit, the 14th Illinois Cavalry. After the war, he spent many years in California before returning home to Tennessee and meeting then 16-year-old Gertrude.

Mrs. Janeway said her mother refused to sign papers to let her marry him before she turned 18. "So my man says, 'Well, I will wait for her until you won't have to,'" she recalled. "We sparked for three years."

She remembered getting married in the middle of a dirt road in 1927 with family and friends gathered around. He bought her the cabin in 1932 and it was there that he died in 1937, at 91, from pneumonia.

"After he died, why it just seemed like a part of me went down under the ground with him," she said in the 1998 interview. "He is the only one I ever had. There wasn't anybody else."
    Thought this was kinda interesting...

Yep, we're really not that far in time from that era. When my dad was a kid in Kentucky, the caretaker on his uncle's farm nearby was a former slave who'd never left the land he'd been born on, even 60 years after being freed.

The last general on either side to die (Francis Barlow) lived until 1934, and a lot of private soldiers lived a bit longer than that.
    When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

The country -- and the world -- was getting into deep trouble in 1934. I wonder if the general ever gave his thoughts about how things had changed, and how they haden't, in that time.
      No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

John Janeway, who married her when he was 81 and she was barely 18.
        Some people have all the luck
        Keep on Civin'
        RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

i doubt he got much out of that relationship Ming, being 81 and all.

Now that Confederate widow probably did have quite a sex life. The South shall Rise again indeed.
          Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
          -Richard Dawkins

Comment

Is there a link for this? Those numbers are a bit funny...
            Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
            "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat
              Yep, we're really not that far in time from that era. When my dad was a kid in Kentucky, the caretaker on his uncle's farm nearby was a former slave who'd never left the land he'd been born on, even 60 years after being freed.
              How old was your dad?
              Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

I seem to remember reading that the last Civil War Veteran died in 1959.

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara

How old was your dad?
                  That was in the 30's, at that time, Jim (the ex-slave caretaker) was somewhere around 80. He lived until about 1938 or '39, my dad was born in '29.
                  When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

81 and... 18?

It's one thing when someone's old enough to be their wife's father, but this guy was pushing into old enough to be her great-grandfather.
                    "Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
                    "That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world

Comment

We're probably within 10 years of seeing the death of the last WW1 veteran.
                      "I read a book twice as fast as anybody else. First, I read the beginning, and then I read the ending, and then I start in the middle and read toward whatever end I like best." - Gracie Allen

Comment

Originally posted by Stefu
                        81 and... 18?

It's one thing when someone's old enough to be their wife's father, but this guy was pushing into old enough to be her great-grandfather.
                        She gets veteran survivor benefits for life. If she'd married some younger old fart, she might have been stuck with him for years.

Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
                        Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
                        Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
                        Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul

Comment

A whopping $90 a month when she died. God bless the Department of Veteran's Affairs for their noble generosity.

Comment

Working...
                          X