US launches "Operation Desert Spam"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US launches "Operation Desert Spam"

The US has launched a spam offensive in the hopes of persuading senior Iraqi officials to defect.

A senior unnamed US military official told CNN that thousands of email messages have been sent out since last Thursday, when the unconventional campaign began.

"This is just the beginning of a psychological warfare campaign," he said.

The propaganda messages, written in Arabic and targeted at senior officials and military, apparently include a helpful guide on how to defect, along with an appeal to turn over any information on Iraq's supposed chemical and biological weapons programme to UN inspectors.

The messages, titled 'Important Information', also urge military personnel to disable weapons of mass destruction or refuse to use them in the event of war, which is starting to look increasingly likely.

It's believed to be the first time the US has used email propaganda in an information warfare campaign.

Iraq has reportedly shut off some Internet gateways to stop these emails getting through. The US military, which confirmed the story, only after news of the spam offensive leaked out, has pledged to get its message across by using radio broadcasts and leaflets dropped from airplanes instead. ®

----------------------
    Source: http://www.theregister.co.uk/
    http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

Got a chuckle out of the thread title.

And I thought I'd never see the day when SPAM was used for something GOOD.

Of course, it is still debatable if its being used for good

Comment

Spam is evil
      Hence Bush is evil
      "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
      "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
      "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Spam is tasty, therefore Bush is... tasty?

:-p

Comment

When I was in the Army I was a part of the Psychological Opporations (Psyop) effort. I kind of miss it; not enough to re-enlist but never the less it was fun and entertaining to screw around with people.
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Well, now we know why it has taken so long for the US government to make any real progress with anti-spam legislation...
            The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Are the Iraqi generals being promised larger penises if they don't use their chemical weapons?
              'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
              - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

Either that or better mortgages.
                "I read a book twice as fast as anybody else. First, I read the beginning, and then I read the ending, and then I start in the middle and read toward whatever end I like best." - Gracie Allen

Comment

Or pictures of Jenifer Lopez, Britney Spears and a horse
                  'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
                  - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

No, no, no.

Give them Jenifer Lopez, Britney Spears, Mariah Carey, etc. Kill two birds with one stone.
                    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Are the Iraqi generals being promised larger penises if they don't use their chemical weapons?

That was funny...
                      KH FOR OWNER!
                      ASHER FOR CEO!!
                      GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X