Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can someone help me to get my HD working?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MattHiggs
    Have you got the jumpers set correctly on the disks? Should be one Primary and two slave.
    Shouldn't it be a primary master, a primary slave and a secondary master?

My two HD are both primary
    This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

In the Bios of my MoBo (Asus A7V) I had first activate my second Controller within my Bios.

There was a setting named "Load Onboard ATA Bios" in the Submenu "Boot" which had to be switched from "Deactivated" to "Auto"
      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

--"There seems to be room for 3 of those cables to HDs."

Looking it over a bit, there should be three IDE connectors. One of them will only be able to handle a single drive. From the documentation, it's not clear whether or not this will do what you want. It sounds like this extra drive can only be used in a RAID configuration.

The Fastrack menu they're talking about is probably the Promise RAID card. I'm not too familiar with those.

--"I want to be able to set that HD to the computer as easy as possible"

You might want to consider getting a firewire external drive bay. It'd be much easier to deal with swapping the drive in and out, and you won't have to worry about the IDE channel limitations. Otherwise you'll probably have to get a couple serial ATA adaptors (expensive) and move your two hard drives to the Promise controller.

Wraith
        "Drat these modern computers, they're so naughty and complex. I could pinch them!"
        -- Marvin the Martian

Comment

Maybe I should look again, but that wont be now, since my computer is busy...

Comment

I don't see how you'll ever be able to get all those drives working frankly. You can only have a primary and secondary, with a master and slave for each. It's just not designed for a 5 fifth device, from what I can see. If you had SCSI, you'd have no problem, you can just keep adding more drives. But I don't think it works that way with IDE.

Comment

Originally posted by Willem
              I don't see how you'll ever be able to get all those drives working frankly. You can only have a primary and secondary, with a master and slave for each. It's just not designed for a 5 fifth device, from what I can see. If you had SCSI, you'd have no problem, you can just keep adding more drives. But I don't think it works that way with IDE.
              It can work, if his MoBo has 2 IDE Controllers.

Such is the case for my MoBo (Asus A7V133).
              It has 2 IDE ATA-100 Controllers and one of them is a Promise Controller which I have to activate in the Bios and which has RAID-Functionality (RAID 0 and RAID 1).

So I am able to attach 8 Drives to the MoBo.
              Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
              Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Originally posted by Skanky Burns
                Check in the BIOS for an option regarding checking for ata100 (or something similar) drives. Enable it. Put one of the HDs on the 3rd cable and see if it detects it.
                The only thing I found about ata in the bios is:

Onboard ATA device (which is set to enabled)
                Onboard ATA device first (set to yes)

Comment

Working...
                X