A World Without Bananas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A World Without Bananas

How could I manage? It would be too much for me, and I am sure many others, to take, if this wonderful fruit disappear. You see, I don't really 'do' fruit, the banana is really the only exception

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

No but it is a GM banana. I am wondering when Ford will start selling some
    Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
    GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Re: A World Without Bananas

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
      You see, I don't really 'do' fruit, the banana is really the only exception

Talk about a statement that can be taken many different ways
      Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi Wan's apprentice.

Comment

EU and US need to put down their banana wars and unite against the common enemy.

Comment

Noooooo!!!!

I was just reading up on banana's today too... This is a tragedy.

Really, I was reading on banana's.

The book I was looking at, a reputable book of trivia that ussually resides on the back of my toilet, was saying that bananas are the reason for city beautification acts, hindering of the plague (or some other diseases like the plague), and the cleaning up of our streets.

The banana became a popular treat among the lower class back in the days when their was no public garbage collection system, and that the yellow peal of the banana allowed for the people to realize how messy their streets actually were when the peal would get discarded, onto the street.

Then some religious mag. lied and said that some guy slipped on peal and had to have his leg amputated. Ppl became weary of the peals, and soon began cleaning up their streets.

The lowly banana, gone for ever...

At least we can still remember that lovely flavor through technologically advanced candy called Runts!
          Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by GP
            EU and US need to put down their banana wars and unite against the common enemy.

Yes the evil mangoes!
            "In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed. But they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love. They had 500 years of democracy and peace. And what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."
            —Orson Welles as Harry Lime

Comment

Look at tis:

One ray of hope comes from Honduran scientists, who peeled and sieved 400 tonnes of bananas to find 15 seeds for breeding. They have come up with a fungus-resistant variety which could be grown organically. If bananas don't disappear from supermarket shelves by 2013, they will look, and taste, different.

there is future in non-GM bananas afterall... I am wandering just how can sterile bananas have seeds And how come that nothing not a single "tree" or whatever left from the 1940's dominant species
              Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
              GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Well I've made my introduction and now for my serious rant. There needs to be a program. Now I think the best course of action would not be a program of genetic modification (directly), as this just puts in resistance genes that are usually overcome by the pathogen in a short period of time, but a process of outbreeding and developing new cultivars. Genetic diversity is the name of the game here, if they introduce that to the banana world, you wouldn't wipe out all bananas with a blight like this but perhaps a single cultivar which can be replaced. We need to get to work generating new cultivars of banana which can withstand such an attack. Look at potatoes, exactly the same. With one cultivar, like in Ireland, a blight can wipe out the entire crop. With diversity, you cause damage, sure, but you can replace and still have bananas.

That is my sound biological reasoning for the night.
                Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

My bad, I didn't know this was a serious thread.
                  "In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed. But they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love. They had 500 years of democracy and peace. And what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."
                  —Orson Welles as Harry Lime

Comment

I know alot of people who eat bananas as a major part of their diet. In the Philippines it's different than in the west where we might pick up bananas once in a while. There they fry them for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. At the center of the huge bunches of bananas is what they call the heart. Poor people who can't afford meat cook the heart up in a certain way for their families.

Anyway, if this blight takes hold there the famine that would result would be horrific. The thought of no bananas makes me cringe.

Provost is right, something needs to be done quickly.
                    Long time member @ Apolyton
                    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Damn, can you imagine sieving 400 tonnes of bananas for 15 seeds... And I thought my PhD project was bad

Comment

I don't understand the premise of the article at all- the variety of banana we eat in the west is one of hundreds of different types ranging from "Baby's Fingers" (Small, fat bananas with a very peculiar sweet taste) via the small green bananas that were the standard fruit banana when we lived in Tanzania and giant, red, dry banas to flour and food bananas that are inedible raw but can be used for a variety of cooking purposes (tastes a bit like Potato). In fact, I wouldn't mind the reduction in amounts of the large yellow banana we eat, it's quite boring in taste comparatively.
                        Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
                        Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

*watches Ecuadorian economy plummet*

Damn.

Comment

No bananas??? This thread is offensive!!! Provost Harrison will enjoy lifetime in Mingapulco when the moderators find it.

Comment

I am no stranger to Mingapulco

Anyway, yes, it is a serious issue. The banana is a staple in many countries, apparently in Uganda the average person consumes over 100 bananas a week. You imagine the damage if the crop was destroyed?

Snappy, the reference was to the Cavendish banana which is the most common type, and due to the nature that they are reproduced from cuttings, they are all virtually genetically identical, or very similar. What gets one, gets any other of them. Hence my demand for more cultivars of the same kind of banana.
                              Speaking of Erith:

Comment

Working...
                              X