Minor European Languages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by David James
    What? No one has mentionned Frisian yet? Spoken by a half a million or so in Northern Netherlands (Friesland and Groningen), NW Germany (Ost Friesland) and some islands off the west coast of Denmark...

Stew, you would start a topic like this...
    What is it? Meester vice president?

Comment

Hey Dave. Long time, no sy..
      www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Originally posted by David James
        What? No one has mentionned Frisian yet? Spoken by a half a million or so in Northern Netherlands (Friesland and Groningen), NW Germany (Ost Friesland) and some islands off the west coast of Denmark...

Stew, you would start a topic like this...
        I don't think we have any Frisians here... (BTW, it's not really spoken in Groningen, just Friesland itself). I'm one quarter Frisian, but I don't speak any Frisian whatsoever.

Comment

Originally posted by Sikander

No, there still trying to get their fuses lit in the parking lot.
          You know, I was just thinking. A few weeks ago someone posted a link to a genetic mapping study comparing the population of Frisia, England, Wales, Scotland and the basque country. Supposedly the study efound that a gene prevalent in the Germanic Frisians was present in the English, but not in the Welsh and Basques, thus proving that in England the Celts were wiped out and that the Welsh were the only true descendents of the Celts in the British Isles. Well, wait a minute, Basque isn't Celtic at all. It's a language generally belonging to the Indo-Aryan group, but unrelated to any other currently existing language in Europe. Considering that this study may actually show that ther Welsh in the corner of Wales studied are the last descendents of a pre-Celtic culture that once existed in the British Isles.
          "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Which corner of Wales, south-west or north-west?
            www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

What is it? dialect?

Comment

Working...
              X