Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the status of Switzerland's reputation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the status of Switzerland's reputation?

Just wondering how the world see us nowadays. What comes to your mind first? Any prejudices?

on a sidenote, there are like 3 or 4 active Swiss posters around here - do you fellows have any idea on why not more?

I confess my impression of the Swiss was that they were pleansant and largely harmless -- until the Nazi gold and art scandals a few years back. After that (and the denials and obfuscation that followed), you guys started seming like a nation of amoral greedheads. Though that's not a strong impression, nothing's really happened to change it.

Waiting until 1971 to give women the vote isn't really that impressive, either.

My other impression of the Swiss is garnered from The Third Man:
    In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock.
    Now I've never really thought that was fair. After all, you also gave the world fondue.
    "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

you forgot the müesli... and Einstein!

As for the women's right to vote - I can make it even more a shame by telling you that the male population of one of Switzerland's smallest cantons refused to do so till the nineties when finally our supreme court ordered them...

Comment

But you wrote a very nice answer to my question about first- and second-class train service, so my impressions of the Swiss have just improved dramatically. Thanks!
        "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by mapfi
          you forgot the müesli... and Einstein!
          He only lived in Switzerland for 15 years...

But they included his annus mirabilis of 1905, so I suppose you get half-credit. Germany takes the other half.
          12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Killing it is the new killing it
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

My opinion of Switzerland?

Small, european, odd and mostly harmless.
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Kinda cute.
              Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Switzerland doesn't exist. No-one knows anyone from Switzerland. (In case someone does know someone from Switzerland, he/she's a German actor.) No-one knows what happens in Switzerland - or has happened, apart from few things (cuckoo clocks, Nazi gold). Even the name sounds like something Americans think European countries are named.

Switzerland is a conspiracy.
                "Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
                "That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world

Comment

I know a lot of people from Switzerland

Let me think, I know 3 guys from Geneve (French Switzerland)
                  And 6, maybe more as I probably forgot someone from around Lugano and in Locarno (Italian Switzerland)

Although nobody from German Switzerland

They all are nice people.

Saluti
                  "Life is pretty simple: You do some stuff. Most fails. Some works. You do more of what works. If it works big, others quickly copy it. Then you do something else.
                  The trick is the doing something else."
                  — Leonardo da Vinci
                  "If God forbade drinking, would He have made wine so good?" - Cardinal Richelieu
                  "In vino veritas" - Plinio il vecchio

Comment

Damn German.
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Einstein was
                      German from birth 1879-1896,
                      no citizen because he denounced German citizenship from 1896-1901,
                      Swiss from 1901-1914,
                      Swiss and German from 1914-1933,
                      Swiss from 1933-1940,
                      Swiss and American from 1940 until death 1955,
                      so most of the time Swiss.
                      He finished highschool here and studied at the same uni as I do now. He also taught at the uni for 3 years before leaving for Germany again. But I wasn't too serious when giving Switzerland credit for Einstein...

Comment

I've met Swiss people and they seemed like a nice bunch...but in general, it is things like the Nazi gold scandals which stick in the memory. Like many places, individually the people are nice...collectively they can be less so.

Although it's always amusing to see a sea of yellow on maps of the EU with this one lil brown spot right in the middle...
                        "Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman

Comment

He only lived in Switzerland for 15 years. Doesn't matter how long he held citizenship there. Most of the period of 1896-1914 was spent in Switzerland. After that it was Germany and then the US.
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Clear Skies
                            Although it's always amusing to see a sea of yellow on maps of the EU with this one lil brown spot right in the middle...
                            and I think that'll probably stay that way for quite another while...

and frogger, for that matter he lived in the US only a few years more than 15, but as I said I wasn't too serious!

Comment

I also think the Swiss are braggarts and blowhards, so eager to protect their status that they stoop to obfuscation and self-aggrandizement.

Stadtluft Macht Frei
                              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
                              X