Italians War Criminals of WW2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Italians War Criminals of WW2

This morning there was a nice documentary about the process of the many war criminals of WW2, and to my big surprise in between them there were very few Italians, compared to a huge number of Germans and Japanese Officers, and those few often managed to get away with very little.

Now.. I don't think that Italy had fewer war criminals of Germany and Japan, so I would like to know, what happened to them, why they were not arrested and judged by an International Court like the others?
    How come that Jugoslavia, Greece or Ethiopia did not ask for the Italian war criminals to be judged?

Saluti
    "Life is pretty simple: You do some stuff. Most fails. Some works. You do more of what works. If it works big, others quickly copy it. Then you do something else.
    The trick is the doing something else."
    — Leonardo da Vinci
    "If God forbade drinking, would He have made wine so good?" - Cardinal Richelieu
    "In vino veritas" - Plinio il vecchio

I didn't think Italy did have the same number of war criminals, I mean, you didn't have the holocaust like Nazi Germany did (although a fair number of atrocities under Mussolini I suppose). Or at least not to my knowledge or perception.
    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Exactly- and most of the existing ones were actually killed by the angry civilians or executed by the new gov in the early months after Germany surrendered to the allies
      I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

Yes... but how come that someone like Graziani, who was captured by the US, managed to go out with a few years in prison and that's it?

How come that Badoglio was never even charged for his crimes (using gas against Ehtiopian civilians)?

I mean... many many German officer were charged and executed for much less.

Saluti
        "Life is pretty simple: You do some stuff. Most fails. Some works. You do more of what works. If it works big, others quickly copy it. Then you do something else.
        — Leonardo da Vinci
        "If God forbade drinking, would He have made wine so good?" - Cardinal Richelieu

Comment

I guess that has something to do with our almighty left-communist party
          I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

You mean that they used Badoglio and Graziani to counter the (at the time) super growing communist party?

Saluti
            — Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

Hmmm I don't know much about this issue.
              But Italians did not have a bad reputation as Germans did.

Also I don't think you were revengful after you were defeated in Albania and I also don't think you wanted to fight an aggressive war.

All the crimes I've heard of, which were comitted in Greece (like burning up and executions of whole villages), were comitted by the Germans.

I also think you became the object of the Nazi "wrath" in Greece proper as there were a lot of executions of Italians by the Germans here. As for why I don't know.

Comment

How come that Jugoslavia, Greece or Ethiopia did not ask for the Italian war criminals to be judged?

We shot them on the spot. Trials, judges .. never were quite the fashion around these parts

Comment

And were they more criminal then Germans or not?

They have their portion of blame. For example Italians wouldnt just go and pillage a village, but they used divide et impera tactics for that - they use their trucks to find someone who may want to sack the problematic village, ship them there and when they are done ship them back.

Clean hands practicaly

But, in general, it has to be admitted Italians were generally less brutal then Germans and definately less brutal then most of the locals.

Comment

So basically most of the Italians War Criminals were mass executed by the population (either Italian or Jugoslavian)

Saluti
                    — Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

I think the big shots escaped to Italy on time

Italian speaking population who was suspected of collaboration or were rich (class enemies) took the beating.

Big shots always get away.

Comment

By the way, amazing how willing you are to speak about this

a big thumbs up

See the 'Greece faces shame' thread to see what a Wow of Silence is

Comment

*takes out lighter for the EU application of Croatia*

Comment

By the way, amazing how willing you are to speak about this

a big thumbs up

Eh eh eh.. thanks

Although this thread is more in trying to understand what happened to them.

I mean, many high officers of the fascist were actualyl hunted and killed by the Italian partisans from 1943 to 1945, others you say were shot by the Jugoslavian partisan.

Now... what about the ones who ordered and executed the Ethiopian massacres (using gas against civil, burnign many village claiming they were bringing "civilization") and many other things like that which happened in Ethiopia during our occupation of it.
                            Were they killed by some sort of Ethiopian partisans as well, or they manage to escape in time?

About the ones which were captured by English and Americans probably Datajack explanation is the best one, the Americans did not want to completely destoy relationship with the right-wingers Italian and letting Italy fall into Communism by executing people like Graziani or charging Badoglio.

Saluti
                            — Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

Originally posted by paiktis22
                              *takes out lighter for the EU application of Croatia*
                              ts ts, look at him... I treat you nice because you took a week's worth of beating and crapping on in that thread, and this is how you repay to me?

too bad my principles dont allow me to beat you while you are on the ground paiktina.. see you in a week or so when you recover

Comment

Working...
                              X