Your Future Predictions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Future Predictions

What do you think will happen in the near(ish) future? Base your predictions on educated theories or wild guesses

Mine-

2003/2004 -Osama Bin Laden is reported to have been killed.

2003-2005 - Another major terrorist attack occurs, most probably within the United Kingdom (though it could be another Western European country or, less likely, the United States again).

2004 - The Republicans win the General Election, again under spurious circumstances, though less so.

2004-2008 - President George W. Bush is assasinated by a terrorist. Drastic actions are taken by the US Government, sulting in harsh restrictions on civil rights. Sources criticizing or insulting the late President will not be viewed kindly, by both the public and the US government. Another President is put in his place, possibly Cheney.

2005 - Britain joins the European single currency, the Euro (unless an economic crisis has caused the other member states to abandone it). Discussions ensue as to how the EU should be expanded further.

2006-2010 - Some leading American opponents to the Republicans relocate to Canada, having followed threats from citizens angry at their treatment of the late President Bush.

2008+ - China invades Taiwan.

2001 - Time travel invented.
    <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Dammit, i just posted a massive bit of writting here, and it hasn't shown up! WTF!

Is that Submit reply (Return to forum) button still working?
      Help negate the vegiterian movement!
      For every animal you don't eat! I'm gunna eat three!!

Comment

2004: JohnT learns to make "Historical Predictions", thereby making the phrase "future predictions" non-redundant.

Comment

2003-2006: India and Pakistan are at it again because of few terror attacks to both sides plus Kashmir.

2003: Massive terrorist attack in the US, and series of smaller terrorist attacks in Europe. 6 to 12 smaller attacks in few days, few US embassies are targets and UK subway.

2003: War in Iraq ends, rebuilding starts. No one is sure where Saddam is, he has fled with his family to some rogue country.

2004: The US goes after Iran, because they were responsible for the latest attacks in the US and Europe.
          Europe hesitates even more this time, massive protests all over Europe, and some in the US too. Everyone thinks it's WWIII. However it's not.

2004: The last school for girls is blown up in Afghanistan. Taliban still has a grip, only Kabul is relatively safe at day. New connection between Chechens and Taliban is discovered.

2005: Even more western journalists are captured in Saudi Arabia, and tortured. They never admit it, but joint effort of France, Germany and Norway pushes the US to think about their alliances again. However nothing happens. Everyone forgets in few days again, that Saudi Arabia is torturing people, westerners too, and that they harbor terrorists, are terrorists and should be nuked and despised.

That's about it..
          In da butt.
          "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
          THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
          "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Nope, China will never invade Taiwan at the rate things are going.

2003 - the US invades Iraq. The Arab world moans, then continued to sell oil to the US.

2004 - another terrorist attack. the US tries to invade Sudan or some other place.

2004-2008 - the EU continues to expand. UK joins the Euro.

2010+ - the euro and dollar are united.

2020+ - Taiwan is annexed peacefully by China. Anschluss!

2030+ - the eurodollar begins its blanket coverage of the world, starting with the Gulf and the Pacific Rim.

2030+ - major starvation in Africa/S. America. Terrorism reaches a new height with a possible nuke. The rich nations of the world (which now stretch in a continuous loop around the northern hemisphere) respond with various sanctions/bombings, whatever.

2030+ - formation of a permanent political and economic alliance between the powerful nations to counter the rising tide of the terrorism.
            Poor silly humans. A temporarily stable pattern of matter and energy stumbles upon self-cognizance for a moment, and suddenly it thinks the whole universe was created for its benefit. -- mbelleroff

Comment

The UK isn't going to join the Euro for at least another 10 years.

I reckon that the first referendum will be in 2006 after Labour is re-elected in 2005. It will be defeated by a small (~5%) margin. A second referendum will be held ~2015 after Denmark and Sweden adopt the Euro. The yes vote will be successful because:

1) The Euro will have proved its worth.
              2) The populace feel it is no longer possible for the UK to be the only EU member state not using the currency.
              3) President (of theEU) Blair has done much to improve the view of Europe, due to his reforms of the EU.
              One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

2013 - US dissolves into a myriad of warring states
                2027 - Canada and Japan join the EU
                Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

2003-20??: My powers of prognostication continue to deteriorate.
                  I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by St Leo
                    2027 - Canada and Japan join the EU
                    I'm going to make the bold prediction that if that prediction happens, they'll change the name of EU.
                    "I read a book twice as fast as anybody else. First, I read the beginning, and then I read the ending, and then I start in the middle and read toward whatever end I like best." - Gracie Allen

Comment

Some serious, some not so, some educated guestimating, some just pulling outta me bum...

2003 Spring - US/UK war with Iraq; Saddam disappears...in a pile of rubble; Low-casuallity but devastating airwar triggers massive desertion of Iraqi military; groundwar in Baghdad costs several thousand lives on both sides plus civilians; Puppet government established until opposition parties are forced to accept US terms in 2005

2003 Fall - Bush Jr. wins reelection; Republicans neither gain nor lose much ground; Democrats finally grow a spine after "finding their voice" and start calling the President on his bad moves

2004 -> 2008 - Wars with North Korea, Iran result in major loss of life, but roots of future stable governments are set

2006 - Chinese continue to see success in their space program; eye mission to moon by 2013

2007 Fall - Devastating terrorist attack in major US city; low-yield nuke (atom bomb-type 3-5 kiloton); marshal law declared, beginning of police state in US, though never quite reaches the level of oppression seen historically; American public forced into isolationist stance while government continues to dabble in world hegemonic behavior

2007 Fall - GOP loses majority in House, Senate, State legislatures, and the Presidency, but tail closely the Democrats in terms of seats held

2008 - Pakistan and India have a go at each other; nukes not exchanged; major pressure from US/EU forces ceasefire in 2011

2012 - A year ahead of schedule thanks in part from advisory help from the Russians, Chinese launch crew of five to moon and succeed; all return home safely

2014 - African nations make a weak, but hopeful, attempt at unifying continent by adapting to a confederation of "states" as an African Union; effort largely cosmetic, reality is nations remain soveriegn

2015 -> 2016 - Brief war erupts between China and US over Taiwan after Chinese invade island unexpectedly; mostly military conflict (bases/airfields and naval installations) results in minimal civilian casualities outside of Taiwan; Taiwan annexed

2018 - United States continues downward spiral; elections largely ignored by public (turnout drops below 20% at national level), though smaller local elections fair better; Republican and Democratic Parties largely resemble each other, resulting in vast centralist majority in both parties; elections in immediate future are largely formality as American public accepts whomever the two parties decide to place

2023 - Joint effort between US, EU, Russia, Japan, and newbie China places a team of 15 scientists on Mars for one year mission; Banner of United Nations barely wins approval for display

2024 -> 2036 - Major nations begin large-scale shifts in energy policy, opting for hydrogen fuel for smaller needs and expensive fusion for general needs

2030 - Global climate continues to shift (whether natural or Human-induced); sea-level risen 2 meters (6.56 feet) since turn of century; global wheat/grain harvests drop sharply as former breadbaskets dry up and shift northward; Saharan Desert widens further south

2034 - African Union strengths; central government formed, first elections are marred by violence; new elections are held under the guidence of the EU

2040 - Global foodstocks rapidly disappear as climate continues to destroy existing farmlands; fossil fuels have nearly been depleted; minor conflicts errupt in Africa, Southeast Asia as their countries do not posses the alternative energies used by the major nations; situation worsens when imperialistic United States attempts to restore order; WWIII breaks out

WWIII - First week results in 500 million dead as nuclear, biological, and numerous chemical weapons are freely exchanged between warring minor factions; conflict expands as US rushes in, only to draw the ire of underground enemies, both foreign and domestic; terrorists use opportunity to hit targets in EU, China, South America, and a number of ocean settlements (mostly mining ops); WWIII largely accepted to be the period between late-2040 and mid-2047, though sporadic conflict continues until 2058; devastation wide-spread in major cities (riots, uprisings, groundwar, terrorist/WMD attack), though rural regions suffer less damage; Death toll between 2040 -> 2047 = 3 billion out of 8 billion (extended toll to 2058 adds another 200 million dead)

post WWIII (2047) - United States government weakened, police state largely vanishes as local centers of control establish domestic order; EU fairs better, though economy almost non-existant after concerted terrorist attacks take out major physical infrastructure; China sees massive uprising, with democratic opposition wrestling control from "communist" party; United Nations largely ignored prior to war, but gains spotlight afterwards

2060 -> 2070 - United Nations seen as best starting point for restructuring world political structure, though many parties wish for different setup; UN reformed as a Senate-body in larger multi-branched government; World Court revived as Judicial branch; 1000+ seat legislative branch drafted; civil service of general population made as one of new government's central tenets

2073 - World Government general elections held; reports of abuses and sectarian violence mar otherwise hopeful event...

...Ming rises from the dead and permabans the whole of Humanity for its, "never-ending stream of spam." World ends.
                      The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

I'm going to make the bold prediction that if that prediction happens, they'll change the name of EU.

Maybe USA will also change it's name once it figures out that Canada and Mexico are not about to surrender their independence.
                        Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

2003 : A leak of some sort in Sosnovyi Bor, if this freezing weather will continue.
                          2003 : NK... a big question mark, I'm not going to speculate.
                          2003 : US + Georgia = Russia vs. US, diplomatical standoff.
                          2003 : Crisis in RSA, mainly concerning democracy.
                          2003 : France defeats the rebels in Ivory Coast, new elections held (in Ivory Coast, that is).
                          2003 : Libya sends militiary support into Zimbabwe
                          2003 : All around S. America, economic crisis deepens due to massive debts, regional conflicts.
                          2003 : Harry Bogomoloff moves to US (yeah, one can hope)
                          2003 : Economical recession in EU, if there will be more strikes...

Humm.

Comment

2004: Major bad loans situation comes back to haunt China.
                            "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
                            "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
                            "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

Maybe USA will also change it's name once it figures out that Canada and Mexico are not about to surrender their independence.

I'm sorry, are you assuming that North America means the Americas?

We never claimed to be the entire Americas, but your post seems to indicate you believe North America is the entire western hemisphere.

Damn arrogant Canadians .
                              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Working...
                              X