A Question About Random Ip's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

start > run > command
    "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
    - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Thx, the IP address doesn't match the one the site manager claimed I have. Maybe they just suspect me of being a DL and can't prove it via IP's.

But I do recognise the IP I get from the command line, so is it possible we have a static IP for the proxy and random IP's when logging on? I don't want to bother y'all with my problem too much , the site was just a small conservative forum that doesn't like "Christians" being criticised, so it's not a big loss.
      Last edited by Berzerker; January 10, 2003, 03:34.

Comment

Originally posted by Berzerker
        I deleted my cookies and went back but the site manager said I had the same IP as my prior incarnation.
        That's silly, just because they have the same IP doesn't mean they are the same person. On the other hand, the same person can have different IP's.
        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

The only thing I can think of is that there is a set of IP's issued to me or my server and they found me posting under one or more of the IP's under both identities. I'm a little hesitant to try masking software since I'm going thru a proxy that probably has to be modified and if I screw up and lose internet access I'll never figure out how to fix it.

Comment

All I can say is it's good Apolyton is more lenient about offensive posts. I've had heated debates in the past with the clown who banned me, but I was away from the site for a while and went back and got into it with them again, but they had become a moderator in the interim and used their new found power to get me back.

Comment

UR - when I was originally banned, I went back and re-registered, but could not post. I deleted my cookies in case they identified a cookie they installed in my system and rebooted to get a different IP and was able to register and post.

Comment

Bezerker, use the public library?
                "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

link to the site please?
                  or even better link to the thread that got you banned
                  I have discovered that China and Spain are really one and the same country, and it's only ignorance that leads people to believe they are two seperate nations. If you don't belive me try writing 'Spain' and you'll end up writing 'China'."
                  Gogol, Diary of a Madman

Comment

edited
                    Last edited by Berzerker; January 10, 2003, 21:31.

Comment

Why do all US-righty forums use the same old BB software? Its crap.

Must be a tradition or old charter or something...
                      Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                      "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Well, good news, the moderator lifted the ban. I guess the dynamic IP's make it impossible for them to know if it's me or someone else.

Comment

Oh, well I was going to say, that, if you are going through a proxy server, they are going to record THAT address (the address of the proxy server) instead of your own. Pretty much every single site you will go to is going to see the proxy server address. That proxy server address never changes.
                          We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                          X