• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Britain urges US to delay war until autumn

Britain urges US to delay war until autumn
    By Anton La Guardia and George Jones
    (Filed: 09/01/2003)

Britain is pressing for war against Iraq to be delayed for several months, possibly until the autumn, to give weapons inspectors more time to provide clear evidence of new violations by Saddam Hussein.

British officials know that the real decision will be taken by Bush
    Ministers and senior officials believe that there is no clear legal case for military action despite the build-up of American and British forces in the Gulf.

Senior diplomats have told the Government that there is a good chance of securing United Nations Security Council approval for military action later in the year if Saddam can be shown unambiguously to be defying the disarmament conditions set out in resolution 1441.

"The Prime Minister has made it clear that, unless there is a smoking gun, the inspectors have to be given time to keep searching," a senior Whitehall source said.

The uncertainty at the heart of the Government has resulted in ministers blowing hot and cold over the prospects for early military action.

The tensions were highlighted on Tuesday when Geoff Hoon, the Defence Secretary, publicly rebuked Jack Straw, the Foreign Secretary, for playing down the chances of war.

In the Commons yesterday Tony Blair denied that the Cabinet was split or that he was engaging in "dangerous brinkmanship" with Saddam over Iraq's weapons of mass destruction.

But he was left in no doubt of growing opposition among Labour MPs to joining an American-led attack without convincing proof that Saddam had defied UN demands to dismantle his nuclear, chemical and biological programmes.

The exchanges showed that the Prime Minister could face a major revolt if he went to war without UN backing.

As the tempo of military preparations accelerates, British diplomats say they can win UN support for war only if the inspectors can corner Saddam, either by finding banned weapons and components or by forcing him to deny access to sites or to officials.

"Nobody familiar with the inspections process expects them to come up with the goods in a matter of weeks," a senior British official said.

"There is an assumption that there will be a campaign before the summer because of the heat. The autumn would be just as sensible a time and in the meanwhile Saddam would be thoroughly constrained by the inspectors."

Although the Government has sent a powerful naval force to the region and called up reservists, there has been a significant softening of Whitehall's warlike rhetoric.

Mr Straw said he thought the prospects of war were roughly 60:40 against. No 10 backed Mr Straw in downgrading the importance of the inspectors' first full report to the Security Council on Jan 27.

Officials said the date was "not a deadline"; the inspectors should be given "time and space" to carry out their work. They also insisted that an indefinite game of "cat and mouse" was not acceptable.

Hans Blix, the chief weapons inspector, is expected to tell the Security Council that Iraq is co-operating in terms of procedure, but that he needs time to investigate the apparent omissions in the latest declaration of its weapons programmes.

Hard-liners in Washington see Iraq's claim that it has no banned weapons as enough justification for action.

British officials know that the real decision about the war will be taken by President George W Bush. Powerful voices in Washington argue that prevarication would risk allowing another crisis to divert the effort against Iraq and afford Saddam a symbolic victory.

British officials hope that London's reservations and Mr Blair's growing problems in the Labour Party will help to tip the balance in the Bush administration in favour of delay.

But they accept that Britain will go along with an American-led war in almost all circumstances, including a conflict in the spring if Washington is determined to launch an early campaign.

The first Prime Minister's Questions of the year, held at noon instead of 3pm under Commons reforms, was dominated by Iraq.

Iain Duncan Smith, the Tory leader, highlighting the spat between Mr Hoon and Mr Straw, warned Mr Blair that he could not win public backing for a war if he could not convince his Cabinet and if troops were only "half-prepared for war".

OK... so the Brits are slowing down a bit, I wander what will happen after Jan 27. I doubt anyone thinks Saddam will use his WOMDS that he might not have before Autumn... when the allegation will be much clearer.
    Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
    GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Good ol' Brits eh?

It won't stop Bush though.. "kill them all lads! who needs a UN resolution when you have B2 bombers and napalm!"

Comment

Support for the war on Iraw is pretty soft over here... roughly 39% of men and only 33% of women support military action.
      "Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman

Comment

I think this is basically because NK is being percieved as a greater threat.
        I have discovered that China and Spain are really one and the same country, and it's only ignorance that leads people to believe they are two seperate nations. If you don't belive me try writing 'Spain' and you'll end up writing 'China'."
        Gogol, Diary of a Madman

Comment

shut up Blair! Do you want Britain to be next?
          "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
          You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

I have an idea about that...
            We join the USA!
            I dont want to, but Bush can not attack a state in the US...can he?
            How can you defeat an enemy which will never accept defeat?

Comment

Unless its Texas, all bets are off on that one.
              One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Yeah - we'll wait.

Sure, just as long as I keep my per diem until then
                But I kick that ball, and I pray it goes straight,
                If it does, then Coach says, "Good job number eight."
                He doesn't even no my name is Andre Kristacovitchlalinski, Jr.
                But that's the life I live...Lonesome Kicker

Comment

Just another proof that more evidence is needed to have a good reason (which is WOMD presence and Iraq unwilling to disarm) to go in there and attack.
                  Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                  GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

If the Brits want to wait until Autumn, why are they loading their special forces now?

One of the best ways to screw up Saddam's timetable to to get him to believe that American allies are balking.
                    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

So, the inspectors found some old, empty chemical warhead shells, but 'old W still has'nt invaded? Perhaps they really dont want to go to war!
                      How can you defeat an enemy which will never accept defeat?

Comment

No smoking gun = no UN resolution.

W goes for it anyway = why have the UN?

UN abolished, diplomats sent home, rest of world saves small fortune, NY economy impoverished.

Go for it! (apologies to all the people in NY who make money out of the UN).
                        Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

The real reason for this delay is, of course, that we're just a big bunch of wussie Eurocoms.
                          "Paul Hanson, you should give Gibraltar back to the Spanish" - Paiktis, dramatically over-estimating my influence in diplomatic circles.

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.

Comment

Let's face it. Saddam buried all of his WOMD in the desert years ago. The U.N. can inspect until dooms day and they won't find one bit unless there's an informer.
                            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Well the US seems to 'know' Saddam is lying. Why don't they inform? Oh wait, it will jeopardise their operatives.
                              One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Working...
                              X